Friday, September 06, 2024

New Scott-appointed trustees are alumni, political donors

Updated 3 p.m., 6/20 with a quote from UF President Bernie Machen.

Gov. Rick Scott appointed two new members to UF’s Board of Trustees on Wednesday.

James “Bill” Heavener and Jason Rosenberg join David Thomas, who was selected earlier this year, as the three newest gubernatorial appointees on UF’s board. They will replace Steven Scott, whose term ended; Alan Levine, who moved to the statewide Board of Governors earlier this year; and Michael Heekin, whose appointment was not confirmed by the Florida Senate.

UF President Bernie Machen released a statement Thursday in support of the appointments.

“Jason has a deep appreciation for the unique opportunities afforded by a college education. In fact, he has been one of the most vocal and visible champions of the Machen Florida Opportunity Scholars program,” Machen said. “Bill, meanwhile, is uniquely familiar with the bonds between business, industry, universities, economic prosperity and educational opportunity. With ‘preeminence’ designation and so much support from our governor and state leadership, I’m confident both Jason and Bill will help us make the most of this period of remarkable opportunity for UF and for our state.”

The new members’ terms began Wednesday and are due to end January 6, 2016, according to a news release from Scott’s press office.

The appointments were routine, said UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes, and they’re both Gators.

Heavener is from Winter Park, where’s he’s the CEO and co-chairman of Full Sail University. He earned a bachelor’s degree in business administration from UF in 1970. The 65-year-old is the namesake of the Heavener Football Complex behind the Bull Gator on campus.

Forty-four-year-old Rosenberg, of Gainesville, is a plastic surgeon who specializes in breast cancer reconstruction. He got a psychology degree from UF in 1990, his master’s degree in anatomy in 1993 and his doctor of medicine degree in 1995.

Both new trustees made political contributions in the last presidential election cycle.

According to campaign finance records, Heavener donated a total of $135,000 to the super PAC Restore Our Future, a political action committee supporting Mitt Romney. He also contributed more $62,000 to various Republican groups.

Rosenberg donated $1,000 to the Republican party of Florida in addition to $8,500 to other Republican candidates like Ted Yoho and Newt Gingrich.

Contact Julia Glum at jglum@alligator.org.