Sunday, October 13, 2024

South Carolina sweeps No. 19 Florida in upset at O’Connell Center

The Gamecocks defeated the Gators 3-0, marking UF’s second loss to an unranked opponent this season

Freshman outside hitter Kennedy Martin spikes the ball in the Gators' 3-0 win against the Winthrop Eagles Saturday, Sept. 9, 2023.

Despite an apparent mismatch on paper between No. 19 Florida and unranked South Carolina, the Gamecocks came away with a stunning sweep against the Gators in their match on Sunday afternoon.

South Carolina (10-5, 1-3 SEC) swept Florida (11-5, 2-3 SEC) in the Stephen C. O’Connell Center on Sunday. 

The Gamecocks took the lead early on in the first set, leading 5-2 after multiple Gator attack errors.

A kill from sophomore outside hitter Kennedy Martin and an ace from fifth-year outside hitter AC Fitzpatrick sparked a Florida run, bringing the score to 6-5.

Later in the set, timely kills from South Carolina, as well as more Florida service and attack errors, drove the Gamecocks' lead up to 11-7, prompting a Florida timeout.

UF responded with kills from Auguste, Fitzpatrick and Kennedy Martin, closing the gap to 14-13 and prompting a South Carolina timeout.

Attack errors from both teams led to seven ties throughout the set. A block from Stucky brought Florida to its first lead of the set at 18-17. Stucky went on to tally 30 assists, one ace and four kills throughout the match. 

South Carolina went on to win 25-23 in the first set with back-to-back kills.

Now facing an early 1-0 set deficit, Florida opened the second set with a kill from redshirt senior outside hitter Isabel Martin.The score evened out 5-5 after attack errors from both teams.

Florida called a timeout after South Carolina pulled ahead 9-5, but the Gamecocks kept on rolling. A service ace and pair of kills extended their lead to 12-7.

Florida responded with another kill from Kennedy Martin and an ace from Stucky to briefly stop South Carolina’s momentum, bringing the score to 12-9.

However, South Carolina responded with three consecutive kills, bumping the score back up to 16-9. 

Florida called its second timeout of the set, attempting to regain their lead. Instead, Florida service errors and attack errors pushed South Carolina up to a 23-13 lead. The Gamecocks eventually won the set 25-14.

With the end of the game in sight, South Carolina picked up the pace in the third set, scoring the first three points via a kill, a Florida attack error, and an ace.

Florida called a timeout after South Carolina extended its lead to 11-6 on a four-point run of kills and Gator attack errors. 

Kennedy Martin continued to strike down kills, but South Carolina always found a way to respond, the score up with kills and service aces. The sophomore outside hitter totaled 17 kills in the match.

South Carolina had taken a 21-13 lead when Florida called a timeout in a last-ditch effort to stop the Gamecocks.

Nevertheless, it proved to not be enough, South Carolina sealed the set and the match 25-18 with a kill from senior middle blocker Oby Anadi..

Florida will next head to College Station, Texas, on Friday to face Texas A&M at 9 p.m.

Contact Shaine Davison at sdavison@alligator.org. Follow her on X @shainedavison.