Friday, October 11, 2024

Know Your Enemy: Tennessee Volunteers

Sports editor Max Tucker spoke with Caleb Jarreau, the sports editor at the Daily Beacon for a Q&A

Redshirt junior center Kingsley Eguakun hikes the ball to redshirt junior quarterback Graham Mertz in the Gators' 29-16 win against the Tennessee Volunteers on Saturday, Sept. 16, 2023.

The Florida Gators football team is on the road this week for a matchup against No. 8 Tennessee in Knoxville, where the Volunteers narrowly defeated the Gators 38-33 in their last meeting at Neyland Stadium in 2022.

Following its second consecutive victory, the Gators are carrying a bit of momentum into Rocky Top, whereas the Vols will be seeking to bounce back from an unexpected upset loss on the road Saturday to unranked Arkansas.

I spoke with Caleb Jarreau, the sports editor at the the Daily Beacon, the student newspaper at the University of Tennessee, to preview the matchup.

How does this Tennessee team compare to the last Vols team that beat the Gators in 2022?

Jarreau:”The 2022 [UT] team was the best under Josh Heupel and when the offense was running at its best. We haven't seen that offense this season and that is the biggest difference I would say. With Nico Iamaleava at the helm, it was expected that Tennessee would get back to its 2022 form and look more like what it did with Hendon Hooker, but the tempo [approach] hasn't been as fast nor have the high-scoring efforts been there when the Vols have played teams with good defenses. Another big difference from that 2022 team would be Tennessee's defense, which I think is the strongest it has been under Heupel. It all starts with the defensive line, where the Vols hold what many national talking heads have called the best unit in the country. The secondary still isn't what many would consider great, but it is good enough for the Vols to lean on their defense.”

What has allowed Tennessee to remain a top 10 team all season?

Jarreau:”NC State being overrated definitely helped Tennessee shoot up the polls early. The Vols went into Charlotte and dominated the Wolfpack on national television and that bought some good will with voters. Then, you throw in the win in Norman where Heupel was able to hold the offense back and lean on the defense, and you see why they thought Tennessee was a well-rounded team. A lot of that, I bet, was under the assumption that Heupel could get the offense firing if he needed it to. That didn't happen when it needed to happen in Fayetteville, so Saturday will be a big test of whether or not the Vols deserve to remain in that upper-echelon of ranked teams.”

What led to the massive upset the Vols faced against Arkansas in Week 6?

Jarreau:”I think it all starts with the offense. Tennessee's defense gave it enough to hang in that game and win. There were crucial fourth down stops and tackles for loss that kept Arkansas on its heels, but the offense could never cash in on the stops. The offense looked discombobulated, with tempo nowhere to be found and Nico Iamaleava looking confused at times. The offensive line play was also bad on the front, and Tennessee lost the line of scrimmage on the offensive side of the ball the whole night. The Vols finally got life from Dylan Sampson in the second half — providing the spark he usually does — but it wasn't sustainable. Arkansas followed the defensive game plan that Oklahoma used, and it worked. Tennessee seemingly had no answers. According to all accounts, though, the adjustments are being made and the team returned from the loss with a new sense of urgency.”

What will Florida need to do to slow down freshman quarterback Nico Iamaleava?

Jarreau:”I think following the plan that Arkansas and Oklahoma used is a good start. Mixing up looks and making Iamaleava think a little more than he usually would have found success. I think, too, getting a pass rush will help. The offensive line did not play good against Arkansas. Even against Oklahoma, Iamaleava had a couple of fumbles that can be chalked up to bad offensive line play. I think that is in the back of his head in the pocket now. That also goes along with stopping the run game, which will make Tennessee's offense uncomfortable and have to look elsewhere for yards. So, basically win the line of scrimmage like Arkansas. When Tennessee gets behind the chains and the offense slows, then bad things happen.”

Who will be Tennessee’s playmakers that Florida will need to focus on?

Jarreau:” I think James Pearce Jr. will be someone to watch on defense. The project first-round NFL Draft pick has played good all year but his numbers have been rather tame. He had a great game in Arkansas and virtually lived in the backfield. He will lead a very deep defensive line that will rotate fresh bodies in the entire night. I also think the linebacker corp led by Keenan Pili will be a group to keep an eye on. Pili, a veteran, is flanked by a fairly young room. Still, the room has found success on defense. On offense, Nico Iamaleava is obviously who most people will look at, but I think Dylan Sampson is more important. The Vols pass the ball just 35.96% of the time currently, and love to lean on Sampson. He has scored 12 of Tennessee’s 26 touchdowns himself and averages over 10 yards a catch and over 6 yards per carry. He is an X-factor for the offense. Also, with the health of the room, how the young receivers play will be important as well. Look out for guys like Mike Matthews, Kaleb Webb and Chas Nimrod. They have flashed, but have yet to put in a complete game of film.”

What are the keys to victory for the Volunteers? What’s your final score prediction?

Jarreau:”Getting Dylan Sampson the ball and staying ahead of the chains should be key No. 1 for Tennessee. It needs to play with tempo again and keep moving forward to find success. I also think that the younger receivers I mentioned before need to carry their own weight. This game is a great opportunity to get the offense back into form before Alabama comes to town next week. The defense needs to play good as well, but there is no reason — yet — why they shouldn't be expected to have a good game. Final score prediction: Tennessee 24, Florida 14.”

Contact Max Tucker at mtucker@alligator.org. Follow him on X @Max_Tuckr1.

Max Tucker

Max Tucker is a junior transfer student at UF. After obtaining his A.A. in Journalism from Santa Fe College in 2023, he chose further his education at Florida's College of Journalism and Communications. Max is currently pursuing his Bachelor of Science in Journalism with a specialization in sports and media. He enjoys golfing and going to the beach with his friends in his free time.