Monday, October 21, 2024

Gainesville’s guide to fall festivities and pumpkin patches

Five pumpkin patches with fall activities for students, families

<p>Volunteer searches for spoiled pumpkins at the Abiding Savior Lutheran Church on Oct. 20, 2024.</p>

Volunteer searches for spoiled pumpkins at the Abiding Savior Lutheran Church on Oct. 20, 2024.

As the weather begins to grow cooler and the days become shorter, it’s time to begin fall festivities. To get in the fall spirit, here is a list of the five best pumpkin farms in the Gainesville area. Grab your flannels and warm apple cider.

5. Amazing Grace Family Farms 

Amazing Grace Family Farms stands out from other pumpkin patches in Gainesville because of its late hours, which are extended to 9 p.m. for fall festivities. Although only open on Fridays and Saturdays, the farm offers families plenty of time to enjoy its attractions, like a pumpkin patch and crop maze. 

The farm’s activities also include a corn crib, jump pad, ball pit and farm animals. 

Tickets are sold online for $17.95, with a $2.64 processing fee, and $24.95 at the gate. Amazing Grace opens on Fridays at 4 p.m. and Saturdays at 10 a.m. Located at 4521 SR-21 in Green Cove Springs, the farm is a little over an hour away from Gainesville, making it a great opportunity for a small road trip. 

4. Crossroads Farm and Apiary 

Although Crossroads Farm and Apiary is open year-round, the farm celebrates a fall festival from Oct. 5 to Nov. 3. Festival admission is $12 for ages 3 and up and includes a pumpkin patch, crop maze, bounce pad, animal feeding, handmade crafts and hay rides. For an additional purchase, guests can access the farm’s “pumpkin chunkin,” paintball target practice and face painting. 

The farm, located at 3831 NW 156 Ave, also offers flower picking, which doesn’t require festival admission. Though the Fall Festival hours are Saturdays, from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Sundays, from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m., Crossroads is open to pre-scheduled groups Tuesday through Friday.

Crossroads Farm and Apiary plans to give away a free pack of four tickets to the festival, and visitors can enter on its website

3. Bryer Patch Farm

Bryer Patch Farm offers too many fall activities to fit into one trip — each weekend offers a new experience. On Oct. 19 and Oct. 20, Bryer Patch celebrated Dog Days, a $10 event inviting guests to bring their furry friends to the farm. 

For those looking for something more spooky, Oct. 25 and Oct. 26 might be the perfect weekend to visit the farm. Titled “Slightly Frightening at the Patch,” the event offers a costume contest, pumpkin patch, flower picking, farm activities and a “slightly frightening” crop maze and hayride. 

Bryer Patch’s final fall event is the Sunflower Festival, which occurs Nov. 2, Nov. 3, Nov. 16 and Nov. 17. The festival will feature live music, flower picking, vendors, flower fields, hayrides and a crop maze. 

Each weekend event is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Slightly Frightening at the Patch will open Oct. 25, from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m., and Oct. 26, from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. All events will take place at 5700 SW 250 St. 

2. Amber Brooke Farms 

With one farm in Williston, located at 3250 NE 140 Ave., and one in Eustis, 36111 County Road 44A, families have two opportunities to celebrate Amber Brooke Farms’ Fourth Annual fall Festival. Both locations offer a pumpkin patch, petting zoo, “U-Pick” flowers and a sunflower express hayride. It also offers a sunny hemp maze, using the tall, green and yellow plant to disorient guests. This year, the farm also created two new attractions: the gel blaster range and an archery range. 

For those who are not interested in a pumpkin patch, Amber Brooke offers happy hour specials, ensuring there’s something for everyone. 

The festival also provides more than just the typical fall activities — each weekend, there is a different event for guests to enjoy. Events include an October Fest on Oct. 19 and Oct. 20, a Touch a Truck/Trunk or Treat Oct. 26 and Oct. 27 and a Game Day Watch Party Nov. 2 and Nov. 3. 

A complete list of events and tickets are available on the farm’s website. Online admission tickets are $14.95. Tickets can also be purchased in person at both locations for an additional $2. 

1. Mayhem Ranch 

Mayhem Ranch, located at 17830 SE 40 St., is the perfect fall activity for animal lovers. From Sept. 29 to Nov. 3, the ranch offers a “U-Pick Pumpkin Patch,” petting zoo barn, animal shows, a jump pad, pig races and a foam cannon. The fall festivities also include a “little kid crop maze” and a standard crop maze, making the festival family-friendly. 

Aside from the ranch’s typical fall activities, it also houses different animals, including alpacas, emus, red kangaroos, Bennett’s wallabies, two-toed sloths, capybaras, camels and more listed on the ticket website.

Tickets are $13 online or $16 at the gate, but children aged 2 or under receive free admission. Visitors can also purchase add-on experiences, including a 25-minute safari hayride for $7, a two-toed sloth family photo for $25, a kangaroo-holding encounter for $10 and a gemstone mining experience, where price varies. 

Mayhem’s fall hours are Saturdays and Sundays 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., and the latest admission is 5 p.m. Guests can also enjoy live music on the weekends from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. 

Contact Tanya Fedak at tfedak@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @ttanyafedak.