Monday, October 07, 2024

Florida volleyball postpones match against Mississippi State

UF rescheduled the Wednesday night game to Friday with Hurricane Milton looming

Florida sets up its defense in the Gators’ 3-2 win against the Georgia Bulldogs on Sunday, Sept. 24, 2023.

Due to safety concerns generated by Hurricane Milton, Florida volleyball’s matchup with Mississippi State has been rescheduled to Friday. The SEC contest was previously scheduled for Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the Stephen C. O’Connell Center. It will now be played two days later at the same time and location.

With Hurricane Milton’s recent increase to Category 5 status and its anticipated landfall Wednesday evening, Florida and Mississippi State officials, in tandem with the SEC, postponed the match for athlete, coach and spectator safety. 

Following the University of Florida’s decision to close offices and cancel all student and academic activities on Wednesday and Thursday, the decision to reschedule the contest was widely expected.

Coming off a loss to Texas Sunday afternoon, Florida was scheduled to face both Mississippi State and South Carolina at home this week. The matches will now be played within two days of one another, with the latter contest still scheduled for Sunday at 1 p.m., pending further weather developments. 

As of now, no other UF athletic events have been postponed or rescheduled.

Contact Noah White at nwhite@alligator.org. Follow him on X at @noahwhite1782

Noah White

Noah White is a sophomore majoring in journalism and public relations and The Alligator's Women's Tennis Reporter. In his free time, Noah writes some more and plays soccer and volleyball. He also knows more about Liberty League women's soccer than you do.