Friday, October 25, 2024

Florida swim splits tri-meet against University of Tampa and Rollins College

UF's women's team won its first meet of the season following a loss to Virginia

Florida's Alfonso Mestre competes in the 500 free during an Oct. 29 meet against Georgia.

In a swimming-only competition, the No. 3 UF men’s and women’s swimming teams split its tri-meet against the University of Tampa and Rollins College at the Riseman Aquatics Center in Tampa Friday. Florida’s men’s squad (1-1) placed third, with a score of 22 points. The UF women’s team (1-1) won its meet 68-61-2.

In the first event of the day, UF’s women’s squad finished second in the 200-yard medley with a time of 1:43.84. The men’s team finished fourth with a time of 1:32.01.

Transitioning into the 1,000-yard freestyle, UF junior Anna Auld claimed a first-place finish for the Gators, recording a 10:02.19 time. Freshman Luke Corey claimed a third-place finish for the Gators, clocking in at 9:16.57.

In the 200-yard freestyle, Florida freshman Gracie Weyant claimed a first-place finish for the Gators with a 1:50.54 finish.

The 100-yard backstroke also yielded positive results for Florida. Sophomore Carly Meeting finished first in the competition with a time of 56.12 seconds. Fellow sophomore Caleb Maldari finished second for the Gators with a time of 50.29.

Additionally, the 200-yard butterfly provided another quality performance for the UF women’s squad. Freshman Addison Reese finished in first place with a time of 1:59.74. On the men’s side, sophomore Josh Parent finished fourth with a time of 1:50.73 for the Gators.

The 50-yard freestyle yielded a less successful showing for the Gators. Both the men and women failed to have any swimmers crack the top three.

However, the 100-yard freestyle showed another common theme from the meet: a first-place finish for Florida’s women’s team. Reese finished in first with a time of 51.39. 

UF freshman Devin Dilger went on to finish third for the Gators men’s team with a time of 45.10 in the same event.

In the 200-yard breaststroke, UF had its first men’s and women’s first-place finish. Junior Anna Moore finished first for the Gators with a time of 2:16.69 and senior Raphael Rached Windmuller tallied a first-place time of 2:01.41.

UF’s women’s squad recorded yet another first-place finish in the 500-yard freestyle. Weyant claimed the top spot with a 4:53.30 finish. 

Reese went on to claim her second first-place finish of the meet for the Gators with a time of 54.81 in the 100-yard butterfly. 

Florida freshman Sofia Plaza finished second for the UF women’s team in the 200-yard IM with 2:06.43 time. Parent finished third for the Gators in the race.

In the final event of the meet, Florida’s men’s and women’s teams claimed a second-place finish in the 200-yard freestyle relay.

UF’s next meet takes place Friday in Athens against Georgia at the Gabrielsen Natatorium at 11 a.m.

Contact Jackson Colding at jcolding@alligator.org. Follow him on X @Colding_Jackson.