Friday, October 11, 2024

Florida allows two late goals in road loss to South Carolina

The Gators to the No. 23 Gamecocks after struggling to maintain possession throughout the match

<p>University of Florida soccer player Lena Bailey (29) chases down the ball from University of Central Florida’s Taylor Jacobson (2) in Gainesville, Florida, on Aug. 24, 2024.</p>

University of Florida soccer player Lena Bailey (29) chases down the ball from University of Central Florida’s Taylor Jacobson (2) in Gainesville, Florida, on Aug. 24, 2024.

Despite a dominating victory against No. 22 Texas Friday, Florida’s hopes of building off its momentum fell short against South Carolina.

Florida (4-4-5, 1-3-1 SEC) was defeated 2-0 for its third loss of SEC play in an away match against No. 23 South Carolina (6-1-5, 3-1-1 SEC) Thursday in Columbia. 

The Gators struggled to maintain possession and find their footing at Eugene E. Stone III Stadium, with the Gamecocks controlling possession for nearly the entire match. 

Graduate student goalkeeper Alexa Goldberg kept Florida afloat with three crucial saves, leaving the match scoreless into halftime. Goldberg put her veteran experience on display from start to finish, showing no hesitation to come off her line and stop multiple breakways by the Gamecocks’ offense. 

However, South Carolina finally broke through at minute 78:05 on its eighth corner kick of the match. Sophomore midfielder Cuyler Zulauf connected with senior defender Emma Bucci, who was able to put the ball away off a header following a chaotic scramble in the box.

Less than 10 minutes later, fifth-year senior forward and All-American forward Catherine Barry pulled the ball back to take a shot just outside the 18-yard box. Barry, who was named to the 2024 Hermann Trophy Watch List, launched the ball into the back of the net to secure a 2-0 lead for the Gamecocks at minute 84:50. 

Contrary to Florida’s other matches this season, they were unable to create opportunities on offense to create chances at goal. Florida’s offense tallied seven shots, with one on target throughout the entire match, while South Carolina had eleven shots and five on goal.

Florida’s best opportunities both came late in the first half and during the final minutes of the second half. In the first half, the Gamecocks maintained possession, while the Gators struggled to connect on their passes. 

UF redshirt sophomore midfielder Madison Jones followed with a shot at minute 30:10, while freshman forward Vera Blom took the final shot of the first half, but they both missed out top. Florida ended the half with just three shots and zero on goal, compared to USC’s six shots and two on goal. 

In the second half, the Gators saw the match slip away both offensively and defensively. Jones took a promising last shot, but it was saved by Gamecocks junior goalkeeper Christina Tsaousis at minute 82:12. 

After USC’s two late goals, the match ultimately fell out of reach for the Gators. 

Florida will look to bounce back and secure a second home victory against Georgia Sunday at Donald R. Dizney Stadium at 5 p.m.

Contact Amanda Roman at aroman@alligator.org. Follow her on X @mandy_romannn

Amanda Roman

Amanda Roman is a sophomore sports journalism major and The Alligator's Fall 2024 Soccer Reporter. She interned for Fort Lauderdale United FC this past summer as the team's journalist. In her free time, she enjoys lifting, shopping and reading.