Thursday, October 10, 2024

CEO of Gainesville homeless shelter resigns

Vice President of Advancement appointed as interim CEO

<p>A GRACE Marketplace moving truck is parked at GRACE Marketplace in Gainesville, Fla., on Friday, Aug. 18, 2023. </p>

A GRACE Marketplace moving truck is parked at GRACE Marketplace in Gainesville, Fla., on Friday, Aug. 18, 2023.

GRACE Marketplace, which provides shelter and resources to Gainesville's homeless, announced the resignation of its CEO, Jon DeCarmine, in a press release Wednesday. His resignation is effective Dec. 31.

DeCarmine had been the CEO of GRACE since 2017. Previously, he served as director of operations for three years.

“Under his stewardship, the organization has flourished, improving the lives of our neighbors experiencing homelessness,” Kevin Spellicy, Chair of the Board of Directors, said in the press release. “We are immensely grateful for his vision, passion and commitment to our mission and wish him nothing but the best.”

The board of directors said they will be searching for a new CEO and “ensuring the organization continues to thrive and meet the growing needs of the Gainesville community.”

John Thomas, the Vice President of Advancement, has been appointed by the Board of Directors as the new interim CEO. Thomas’ position begins Jan. 1.

According to the press release, Thomas joined GRACE in 2019 and has almost 15 years of nonprofit experience. He was previously the Director of Development at Peaceful Paths and contributed “significantly to that organization’s growth and success,” the press release said.

“Thomas has a strong track record in advancing organizational missions and securing strategic partnerships,” the organization wrote.

DeCarmine will continue to work with GRACE until Feb. 16 to aid with the transition.