Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Alachua County School Board terminates its superintendent

The termination comes after recent board evaluations of Superintendent Shane Andrew

<p>A sign in front of the Alachua County Public Schools district office building is seen Sunday, June 6, 2021.</p>

A sign in front of the Alachua County Public Schools district office building is seen Sunday, June 6, 2021.

The Alachua County School Board voted to terminate the contract of Superintendent Shane Andrew at a meeting Tuesday. 

The motion passed in a 3-2 vote, with board members Tina Certain and Sarah Rockwell in dissent. The termination will be effective Nov. 15.  

ASCB will hold a special meeting Oct. 21 at 6 p.m. to determine and appoint an interim superintendent while it searches for Andrew’s replacement. 

Andrew’s firing comes after recent evaluations of his position were completed by each board member. Andrew was not required to perform a self-evaluation. 

Evaluations were graded across four categories: attendance, behavior, core curriculum and transportation. Each category is based on strategies implemented under Andrew. Grades across each category were in four determinants: “highly effective,” “effective,” “needs improvement” or “unsatisfactory.”

Overall, two board members rated Andrew “effective,” two rated he “needs improvement” and one rated him “unsatisfactory.” 

For attendance and student behavior improvement, board members were divided on their evaluation of Andrew’s performance. However, they unanimously voted he needs improvement when it comes to elevating core curriculum. They also all saw him as effective in reducing the costs of transportation. 

Andrew declined to comment on the motion after the ACSB meeting but said a formal statement would be issued during the week. 

Contact Sara-James Ranta at sranta@alligator.org. Follow her on X @sarajamesranta.

Sara-James Ranta

Sara-James Ranta is a third-year journalism major, minoring in sociology of social justice and policy. Previously, she served as a general assignment reporter for The Alligator's university desk.