Wednesday, September 18, 2024

UF student’s hamster killed in Broward common area

Timmy the hamster was reported dead after a freshman stomped on him

<p>Timmy the hamster was killed by a University of Florida student in Broward West 4th floor common area on Sept. 11, 2024.</p>

Timmy the hamster was killed by a University of Florida student in Broward West 4th floor common area on Sept. 11, 2024.

Editor’s note: This story contains depictions of animal cruelty.

Timmy the hamster was laid to rest Sept. 11 after he was crushed to death inside his exercise ball in the Broward West 4th floor common area.

That night, Timmy accompanied his owner to the common room, where he was rolling around in his ball. According to the UF Police Department’s incident report, 18-year-old UF freshman Benjamin Cohen stomped on the hamster ball, killing him.

Cohen told UFPD he “didn’t know there was a hamster inside the ball,” according to the police report, and only stomped on it because he “thought it would be funny to stomp on the ball and break it.” 

Prior to crushing the ball, he had lightly kicked it and been told to stop.

The hamster’s owner told officers she had informed Cohen of the hamster’s presence prior to his stomping on the ball and “believes Cohen did this on purpose,” according to the report.

“We cannot provide any confirmation or detail regarding any student-related disciplinary process or record because it’s protected information under FERPA,” UF spokesperson Cynthia Roldan said in an email.

The hamster’s owner met with an attorney Sept. 13 and declined to comment. Cohen was advised to not speak with The Alligator ahead of a Sept. 23 meeting, he said in a text message.

The police investigation is ongoing. Though charges are not currently being pressed, the victim may decide to pursue them in the future.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.