Monday, September 16, 2024

UF No. 34 public university in new Wall Street Journal ranking

The school ranked No. 83 among all U.S. universities

Students wait in line under the new #1 Public University banner outside of Emerson Alumni Hall on Friday, Sept. 15, 2023.

UF lost its top ranking among public universities in the United States, according to the latest report from the Wall Street Journal

UF now ranks No. 34 among public universities and No. 83 among all universities, according to the article. The new ranking is a stark drop from UF’s spot in 2024, when it ranked No. 1 among public universities and No.15 overall. 

The ranking included 500 private and public universities. An additional 100 universities were added to the Journal’s 2025 report compared to the 400 universities from to its 2024 report. 

The Journal determined its rankings based on components weighed in percentages that remained the same as last year, including student outcomes (70%), learning environment (20%) and diversity (10%). Each component is then further broken down into subcategories.

UF received a salary impact score of 55 in 2025 compared to its 2024 score of 84. The salary impact score is based on graduates’ estimated salaries, the cost of living in the university’s state and then compared with the college’s performance. The Wall Street Journal calculates performance based on how a college measures up to the expected median earnings of its students after graduation versus their actual earnings. 

However, the graduation rate score increased from 94 to 100. The university’s diversity rate also increased from 60 to 78. 

“Last week, Forbes ranked the University of Florida the No. 4 public university in the nation,” said UF spokesperson Cynthia Roldan. “The formulas for rankings change from year to year, but this is constant: The University of Florida is committed to excellence for our students, for our faculty and for our state.”  

Contact Delia Rose Sauer at drosesauer@alligator.org. Follow her on X @_delia_rose_.

Delia Rose Sauer

Delia Rose Sauer is a junior journalism student and the Fall 2024 University General Assignment Reporter. This is her second semester on the University Desk. In her free time, she's drawing on Procreate, crocheting or exploring music genres.