Thursday, September 19, 2024

Tailgating traditions disrupted: Miscommunication sparks parking chaos

Fans faced blocked parking lots and tickets as a UF "miscommunication" on Sept. 7 led to confusion

<p>A week-old parking ticket sits on a student&#x27;s windshield by Flavet Field on Sunday, Sept. 15, 2024.</p>

A week-old parking ticket sits on a student's windshield by Flavet Field on Sunday, Sept. 15, 2024.

As the sea of orange and blue descended upon the University of Florida for the Gators' second home game of the season, fans who came early to set up their tailgates were greeted by an unpleasant surprise. 

Roped-off parking lots and grassy areas typically used by alumni for tailgating left many struggling to find space for their tents, beach chairs and grills. The game day excitement quickly turned into frustration as parking became a chaotic scramble, with the UF Police Department, UF Transportation and Parking Services and Shands Parking issuing a total of 43 parking violations, according to public records. 

On Sept. 7, the University Athletic Association and TAPS had a “miscommunication,” according to UF’s X account, which made parking and tailgating difficult for those visiting the Swamp. 

Neither the UAA nor TAPS released a statement on the situation thus far. 

Fans did not stay quiet. UF alumnus Jonathan Arnholz took to X among 96 other commenters. 

“Campus is completely locked down,” Arnholz wrote. “Traditional parking and tailgate spots are blocked off. UFPD and parking services are actively threatening tickets/towing.”

Arnholz went on to explain the growing concerns among fans as university officials warned of parking tickets and towing.

As Arnholz's tailgating community, filled with family and friends, arrived at their usual spot, they encountered even more challenges. 

“[TAPS] told us that we could still set up our tents and do the actual tailgate partying there, but we couldn’t park the car,” he said in an interview.

The parking restrictions “soured the mood of the morning,” he added.

Three days after the game, UF released a statement on X addressing the confusion, stating: “As in the past, all parking that has traditionally been available for tailgating will remain available for the Texas A&M game and the remainder of the season.”

While this response reassured some fans, others remained skeptical about how game day parking would be handled for the rest of the season. 

"You wonder if the $35 parking tickets that they’re giving out are worth the price of alienating fans and potentially big booster contributions," Arnholz said.

On the Sept. 14 game against Texas A&M, regular tailgate parking spots were not blocked off, but parking attendants were present.

Where can you park on gameday?

Parking on Gators football game days always has a high cost, and last Saturday’s miscommunication didn’t help the situation. Fans without a reserved parking pass were left scrambling for spots in public general parking areas, which are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. 

Parking on sidewalks is strictly prohibited, and violators risk having their vehicles towed. To alleviate some of the parking pressure, the UAA offers shuttle services for fans who don’t have parking passes. These shuttles pick fans up in four different spots around Gainesville: SF College at 3000 NW 83 St., Downtown Parking Garage at 100 SW 3 St., UF Park and Ride 2 at 3450 Hull Road and Celebration Pointe. Shuttles drop fans off near the stadium, allowing them to enjoy the pre-game festivities, including the Gator Walk Village on the North Lawn. The shuttle service is an alternative for those looking to avoid parking chaos altogether.

For fans navigating the game day maze, UAA has partnered with the Waze Traffic App to provide real-time updates and directions. This app can help fans find the best route to the available parking lots, which include Lot 12, Lot 18, Lot 25, Lot F and others scattered across campus.

Road Closures and Restrictions

On game days, several campus roads are closed to car traffic starting three hours before kickoff. These include:

• Gale Lemerand Drive between University Avenue and Stadium Road
  • Stadium Road from Gale Lemerand Drive to Fletcher Drive
  • University Avenue between Gale Lemerand Drive and NW 17th Street

For fans trying to access parking north of Museum Road, a parking pass is required starting five hours before the game. Additionally, the northern portion of Fletcher Road is now one-way northbound, further complicating navigation around campus.

Options for Disabled Parking

For disabled fans, the UAA has reserved parking spots near the Stephen C. O’Connell Center, Murphree Hall and the Infirmary Lot. However, these spaces are limited and have already been reserved for the season. Public disabled parking is available at Lot 109, located on Gale Lemerand Drive. From Lot 109, a free lift-equipped shuttle service is available to transport fans to and from the stadium, starting three hours before kickoff.

Parking for Boosters and RVs

Gator Boosters have exclusive access to reserved parking on campus, including lots designated for RVs. For those who are not part of the Gator Boosters, RV parking is available at Lot 78, also known as Gators RV City, located at Florida Park. This lot opens at 4 p.m. on Fridays, and all RVs must depart by noon on Sunday. 

Contact Vera Lucia Pappaterra at vpappaterra@alligator.org. Follow her on X @veralupap.