Monday, September 16, 2024
<p>Redshirt junior Sophie White shoots the ball in the Gators' 2-2 tie against the UCF Knights on Sunday, Aug. 25.</p>

Redshirt junior Sophie White shoots the ball in the Gators' 2-2 tie against the UCF Knights on Sunday, Aug. 25.

When soccer is your passion and an outlet from the rest of the world, dealing with two ACL tears in back-to-back seasons can be a significant obstacle that tests your strength and love for the game.

Redshirt junior forward Sophie White endured a unique journey as a member of the Florida soccer team. Her story serves as a reminder that being an athlete is not just about the goals you score or the games you win, but also how you handle the losses and setbacks along the way. 

White began her journey with the Gators in 2021, but not in the way she envisioned. Before arriving in Gainesville, White tore her ACL during her senior year of high school, leading to the absence of her entire freshman campaign at UF.

Her battle with injuries was not just physical, but mental. Rather than wallowing in self-pity, she used the setback to further develop herself as a player.

“I wasn't going to take my injuries as, ‘OK, poor me’,” White said. “I was like, OK, this is a time for me to get stronger and to get better, and I know I can come back stronger than I was.”

Another twist of fate caused White to tear her ACL for a second time. The latter came against Texas in her sophomore year, forcing her to miss yet another season with the Gators. 

But instead of giving in to the adversities, White once again kept her head high and spirit unbroken. 

“The second time around, I was like, OK, I kind of know what it's going through,” White said. “We started to incorporate the ball, and that was obviously so fun, but it makes you very much appreciate your time back on the field.”

Recognizing the competitiveness of collegiate soccer, White knew she had her work cut out for her to not only recover, but to make her way back on the field. 

White had a vision in mind and it didn’t take long for her to turn it to reality. In Florida’s second home match of the season against UCF, she scored the game-tying goal to keep UF’s undefeated season alive.

“It was definitely just relief, just joy,” White said. “I remember that moment. I was like, ‘Oh my gosh, I have to score this,’ because we were obviously down 2-1. I was getting the ball, and I was like, ‘OK, I think I can do this.'"

However, White had someone to share her struggle with in redshirt junior midfielder Oakley Rasmussen, a teammate from her hometown. Both players tore their ACLs in high school and missed out on their first chance to make a statement on the collegiate stage.

“We were able to be each other’s biggest cheerleader and supporter our freshman year,” Rasmusseen said. “Especially when being so far away from home, which was so nice.”

Integrating herself back into the Gators’ offense was no easy feat. White’s battle regarding motivation and playing time was a daunting one.

UF head coach Samantha Bohon recognized her relentless work ethic and determination.

“It's very easy to get discouraged in that process, but she stayed working really hard,” Bohon said. “She’s one of the players that stays after practice pretty consistently and gets extra reps in.”

White remains focused on her goals of getting the Gators to reach their highest potential in the postseason and also has high hopes for her playing career after her time at Florida.

In her head, she carries the mantra, “The comeback is always stronger than the setback." It’s a phrase she set on her phone coincidentally just before her first ACL tear, and it's one that’s stayed with her ever since. 

Contact Amanda Roman at aroman@alligator.org. Follow her on X @mandy_romannn

Amanda Roman

Amanda Roman is a sophomore sports journalism major and The Alligator's Fall 2024 Soccer Reporter. She interned for Fort Lauderdale United FC this past summer as the team's journalist. In her free time, she enjoys lifting, shopping and reading.