Sunday, September 15, 2024

Santa Fe College student acquitted of battery charges

The jury reached a final decision Aug. 16

In a notable legal development, a Santa Fe college student was acquitted of simple battery charges Aug. 16 by an Alachua County jury. 

Chase Elliot Alsobrooks-Floyd was accused of committing simple battery on Feb. 7. The incident allegedly took place in his apartment bedroom. 

The state asserted Alsobrooks-Floyd and the victim had been dating for just over two months at the time of the incident. On the night of the alleged offense, the victim reportedly intended to confront Alsobrooks-Floyd about his behavior, with the possibility of ending their relationship.

In the lead-up to the incident, the victim had confided in friends, informing them of her plan to speak with Alsobrooks-Floyd about breaking up. 

The state sought to use these testimonies as evidence, arguing they reflected the victim’s state of mind and intentions, which were crucial to understanding the context of the incident, attorneys said.

However, the defense argued that any physical contact between Alsobrooks-Floyd and the victim was consensual, given the nature of their relationship, thereby challenging the battery charge.

The jury ultimately acquitted Alsobrooks-Floyd of the charges, determining that the evidence presented was insufficient to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he committed battery. This verdict marks the end of the legal proceedings, with Alsobrooks-Floyd officially cleared of any wrongdoing in connection with the Feb. 7 incident.

Contact Carlos Alemany at calemany@alligator.org. Follow him on X @clos_alemany

Carlos Alemany

Carlos Alemany is a fourth year political science student and the Alligator's 2024 Criminal Justice Reporter. In his free time, you you may catch him thrifting or sketching in Gainesville.