Monday, September 16, 2024

Pushback, parking bans and season-ending injuries hinder Florida ahead of Week 2

UF football has already had an action-packed week prior to a Saturday night kickoff against Samford

<p>Florida head coach Billy Napier during the No. 18 Gators narrow victory over the South Florida Bulls Saturday, Sept. 17, 2022. </p>

Florida head coach Billy Napier during the No. 18 Gators narrow victory over the South Florida Bulls Saturday, Sept. 17, 2022.

Following a loss to then-No. 19 Miami, the Florida Gators looked to turn the page and get its season back on track. However, what was supposed to be a week of preparation quickly turned into a slate of adversities both on and off the field.

UF head coach Billy Napier faced immense criticism from Gator fans after the team fell well short of its expectations against the Hurricanes. But the uphill battle Florida faced only grew steeper as Napier attempted to shift the focus to Samford.

Napier’s viral ‘rural central Florida’ comments on Monday led to an expected clarification on the head coach’s behalf during his midweek press conference. The backlash from the fanbase made UF’s head coach backtrack his remarks.

“Terrible choice of words,” Napier said. “Obviously, [I] didn't explain myself the way I should have there. I think the question about how we help our players and our staff manage adversity and noise on the outside, particularly social media. I want to make it very clear, that was not my intention there. It was no reference to our fans.”

Napier faced scrutiny from numerous national media outlets this week following Monday’s comments. On Tuesday, SEC Network’s Paul Finebaum joined ESPN’s Mike Greenburg on his morning show ‘Get Up’ to discuss Napier’s tenure at Florida.

Finebaum focused less on Florida’s performance against Miami, instead zoning in on Napier’s surprising comments afterwards. This controversy has only added to the underwhelming narrative surrounding the team due to its lack of execution on the field.

“He’s lost more games in two seasons and one game in the Swamp than Steve Spurrier lost in 12 years,” Finebaum said. “And he is going after his own fan base? Those folks who go to WalMart and buy Gator jerseys and beg and plead for tickets to his games? I mean that is one of the most inexcusable shots I have ever seen.”

Internally, the Gators depth at wide receiver took a hit this week. Redshirt junior wideout Kahleil Jackson will miss the remainder of Florida’s 2024 season after undergoing knee surgery from a torn ACL.

Nevertheless, Florida's wide receiver group remains deep, and five-star freshman quarterback DJ Lagway should have plenty of weapons at his disposal. Lagway is now set to become just the seventh freshman quarterback in UF history to start a game.

Just as the internet seemed to be moving its attention away from the program, Saturday morning mustered even more speculation.

Game days in Gainesville hold a rich history of tailgating and pre-game festivities, but as Florida fans began to set up shop around campus Saturday, it quickly became clear that something was off.

Parking lots and patches of grass near Ben Hill Griffin Stadium that are usually occupied by fans were taped off, giving the impression that tailgating was prohibited in areas that have been used for decades.

Whether it was Napier’s decision or the university’s, it didn’t take long for X (formerly known as Twitter) to sound off on what many thought was a backhand to the fanbase. 

Shortly after pictures of the blocked off lots surfaced, a video was released of a UF police officer taking down the tape, opening access for Gator fans.

While it has been anything but quiet in Gainesville this week, the Gators still have a game to play and a season to turn around. No matter how much criticism the team may face, the one thing that could put all the controversies to rest is winning.

Florida will have the opportunity to do just that, as it takes on Samford Saturday at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium at 7 p.m.

Contact Max Tucker at mtucker@alligator.org. Follow him on X @Max_Tuckr1,

Max Tucker

Max Tucker is a junior transfer student at UF. After obtaining his A.A. in Journalism from Santa Fe College in 2023, he chose further his education at Florida's College of Journalism and Communications. Max is currently pursuing his Bachelor of Science in Journalism with a specialization in sports and media. He enjoys golfing and going to the beach with his friends in his free time.