Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Presidential debate sparks watch parties across Gainesville

Students and community members gathered to watch Trump and Harris’ first debate

<p>Students and community members watch the first presidential debate at The Swamp on Tuesday, Sept. 10, 2024. </p>

Students and community members watch the first presidential debate at The Swamp on Tuesday, Sept. 10, 2024.

People at watch parties across Gainesville sat with their eyes glued to the screen Tuesday, tuning into the first presidential debate between former President Donald Trump and Vice President Kamala Harris. 

From border concerns to “the opportunity economy,” both Trump and Harris did not shy away from tough topics on the Philadelphia stage. In a 90-minute period, both candidates were tasked with presenting their own policy points while also defending themselves from opposing attacks. 

The Swamp, the iconic off-campus staple on Southwest Second Avenue, hosted a watch party for anyone to attend. With chairs clustered around the outdoor projector and red and blue Jell-O shot containers scattered across the patio, audience members attentively listened to both candidates. Signs reading “Harris-Walz” and “Democrats for Trump” were boasted at opposing tables, lifted with accompanying cheers and boos.  

Traditionally The Swamp is a conservative place, especially on game days, said Matt O’Hara, a 20-year-old UF material science and engineering junior. O’Hara came to The Swamp to view the debate with friends and was surprised to see people of so many different ideologies packing the restaurant’s outdoor seating, he said. 

“I haven't seen a lot of compelling evidence for either side, to be honest,” he said. “If you walked in here with a view, you’re staying that way tonight.”

O’Hara said his mind was already made up in favor of Trump because of his stance on abortion, but he thought the performance from both candidates was somewhat lackluster. 

As an already engaged political participant, the debate reinforced Harris as the right candidate for Alex Certo, a 21-year old UF data science senior. 

Most people watching the debate already have their minds made up, Certo said, but hopefully this can sway voters who are still in the middle. 

“She [Harris] appealed to centrist voters, and he [Trump] appealed to far right [voters],” she said. “I'm genuinely at a loss at how Trump supporters exist, but I’ve felt that way since 2016.” 

Certo said Harris touched on every topic she hoped she would and was overall very pleased with her performance. 

Bingo boards cataloging both candidates' performances sat in front of audience members with categories like “Florida mention” and “Komrade Kamala,” as tables ordered second rounds of appetizers and drinks across the restaurant. 

It was an environment where Democrats, Republicans, moderates and extremists could come together, said Tomas Mosquera, a 20-year old UF political science junior. 

Mosquera identifies as a traditional Ronald Reagan Republican, not a MAGA Republican, he said. Going into the debate, Mosquera said he was partially undecided. 

“I'm definitely upset with Donald Trump. I don't like and I don't trust Kamala Harris either, so I still don't have a definite decision,” he said. “I'm still leaning with Donald Trump, because he does have some policies that I like.” 

Mosquera said if he had to judge a winner of the debate, he would choose Harris. 

Before the debate began, community leaders backing Harris set up booths at Gainesville’s  Heartwood Soundstage for the Women for Harris watch party. Harris supporters offered pamphlets on topics ranging from gun safety to Amendment 4, advocating for extended abortion rights in Florida. 

This may be the most impactful debate ever between two candidates, said Florida state Rep. Yvonne Hayes Hinson, D-Gainesville. It also could be the first time many young people who have never voted before are paying attention to the candidates, she added. 

“I hope they get to talk about real kitchen table issues, and not just the BS that he [Trump] wants to talk about,” she said before the debate. 

However, Hayes Hinson said she didn't doesn’t think the performance will have much of an impact on the polls. People have already decided who they’re going to vote for, she said. 

At an additional watch party hosted by the UF College Republicans, the only campus watch party according to the organization’s Instagram, laughter and jokes erupted throughout the debate. 

Every member in attendance, including the organization’s leadership, declined requests to comment when asked for an interview from The Alligator.  

The next debate is the Vice Presidential debate on Oct. 1. The general election is Nov. 5, with Oct. 7 being the last day for voter registration in Florida.  

Vivienne Serret contributed to this report. Contact her at vserret@alligator.org. Follow her on X @vivienneserret. 

Contact Morgan Vanderlaan at mvanderlaan@alligator.org. Follow her on X @morgvande.

Morgan Vanderlaan

Morgan Vanderlaan is a second year Political Science major and the Fall 2024 Politics Enterprise Reporter. When she's not on the clock she can be found writing, reciting, and watching theatre!