Tuesday, September 17, 2024
Lucas Sprung is a UF political science and international relations junior.

CORRECTION: This column has been updated to reflect that Nikki Fried is not leading support for Amendment 3 for legal marijuana. Fried and the Florida Democrat Party have not endorsed Amendment 3. Previously, Fried has shown support for legalizing recreational cannabis. 

Amendment 3, which would legalize recreational cannabis, is on the ballot this election. Nikki Fried, former Commissioner of Agriculture and current chairwoman of Florida Democrats has used her career to lobby for the marijuana industry in Florida. While she has not come out to endorse Amendment 3, her past speeches, tweets and policies have shown a sign of direct support for legal marijuana in Florida. 

It's strange that Fried has not publicly endorsed Amendment 3 despite having no reason to not support it. It may be because she doesn’t want Floridians to know about her corrupt past or how she will financially benefit from the Amendment. It's time to take a critical look at Fried’s work in the public and private sector to see how her true motives will affect Floridians. 

Fried presents herself as a modern Democrat and a successful politician, but realistically she’s become a corrupt embarrassment to the state and especially to UF. With her financial violations and previous arrest, Fried has become a spiraling disaster for Florida Democrats.

After being arrested for trespassing at Tallahassee City Hall during a protest, Fried bragged about her arrest and said she would do it again. At the same time, Fried said on X that former President Donald Trump is “not above the law.” With moments like this, Fried reeks of hypocrisy and arrogance while trying to push her political agenda. 

As Agriculture Commissioner, Fried used taxpayer dollars to put a sticker of her face on every gas pump in the state. While it may be a great campaign move for her embarrassing attempt at running for governor, it’s irresponsible and ridiculous to use Florida taxpayer funds for an indirect campaign move to boost popularity for her failed attempt at running for Governor. While Commissioner of Agriculture, Fried was involved in multiple financial scandals by withholding financial reports from the public and trying to hide her investments within a medical marijuana company while she was running for public office. 

The most interesting part of Fried’s life is her fiancé, Jake Bergmann, who is the former CEO of the fifth largest marijuana company in Florida, Surterra Wellness. In 2020, Fried fired three staffers after they raised concerns that Bergmann was mentally and physically abusive towards her because he was removed by police after a public argument and assault. Despite Fried denying the claims, firing three high-level staffers for raising these concerns tells a different story. For Fried to represent the Democratic party, the party that has advocated intensely on women's rights and justice against domestic abuse, it’s disgusting to see Fried fire brave staffers who stood up and spoke out against domestic abuse. 

If Amendment 3 passes this Fall, Bergmann and Fried would profit from the passage because of their involvement in the marijuana industry. This is a massive ethics violation and a clear sign of corruption from Fried. Being a former marijuana lobbyist before being elected as Agricultural Commissioner creates a massive conflict of interest in her career. It seems like Fried’s time as commissioner was only used to focus on serving her career and not Floridians in need. Fried and her fiance would be able to profit off of getting Floridians hooked on a gateway drug that has ruined countless numbers of lives. 

Amendment 3 on its own makes zero sense. Medical marijuana and CBD are already legal in Florida. The people who need the benefits of marijuana are already able to access it. While thousands of Floridians have been arrested on minor drug possession charges, it would be better to reform the justice system behind marijuana possession rather than create a catch all system by fully legalizing it. It would benefit more Floridians to change to fines for possession instead of intensely prosecuting violators like Kamala Harris did in her time as a San Francisco district attorney. 

With Fried being a corrupt leader of Democrats, it’s no surprise that she has used Floridians to advance her political career and bank account. Fried is a fraud for Floridians and Florida Democrats. With Republicans hitting over 1 million more registered voters in Florida this year, maybe Fried can take lessons from Florida Republican party leader Evan Power so she doesn’t embarrass herself and her alumni on the national stage again.