Thursday, September 26, 2024

Lena Bailey’s journey from six high school sports holds “special place in heart”

Sophomore forward Lena Bailey’s path to a soccer career at UF is nothing short of unique

Freshman forward Lena Bailey passes the ball in the Gators' 1-0 victory against the Maryland Terrapins Sunday, Aug. 20, 2023.

Typically, athletes spend their entire lives dedicated to one sport, fine-tuning their skills and mastering a specific craft. But for Florida soccer’s sophomore forward Lena Bailey, the path looked a bit different.

Bailey stands apart from the typical player, with a diverse athletic resume. As a previous student-athlete at Tampa Catholic High School, Bailey excelled in not one, but six different varsity sports.

Her aptitude for competition was seemingly inevitable given the family’s sports background. Bailey’s father grew up playing football, while her mother, Aesha Bailey, was also a multi-sport athlete who pursued a collegiate basketball career at Florida Southern College.

“There was a day in high school she went [to] basketball practice at 5:30 in the morning,” Aesha said. “Then she would go to school, [I’d] pick her up. [Then] she would go to soccer practice, and then from there, we would leave and go to club [soccer practice].”

As a coach for 27 years at Memorial Middle School in Tampa, Aesha provided Bailey with the support needed to be a successful multi-sport athlete.

From organizing and preparing Bailey’s numerous team uniforms, to driving her back and forth to countless practices, Aesha has been invaluable throughout Bailey’s remarkable athletic journey.

With her coaching background, Aesha was naturally supportive of Bailey’s pursuit of multiple sports. Moreover, she was glad her athletic career wasn't confined to just one specific passion, she said.

“I’m very flexible, and I never wanted anyone to pigeonhole Lena into soccer only,” Aesha said. “That happens so much in soccer. They’re like, ‘you can only play soccer.’ Well, if you’re gonna do that to her, you won’t have her.”

While many high school athletes struggle to balance the busy schedule of competing in multiple sports, Bailey thrived amid the challenge. Rather than feeling pressure and burdened by her fast-paced schedule, she embraced it. 

“I literally loved it,” Bailey said. “I did it for fun. It wasn’t like, ‘Oh, I have to go to volleyball practice.’ Or, ‘Oh, I have to do three practices today.’ It was fun, I loved to do it. It was just me I guess. I never had any mental struggles with it.”

While Bailey played lacrosse, basketball, volleyball, soccer, flag football and track and field, she ultimately decided to pursue collegiate soccer at Florida after high school. She noted that every sport she played “has a special place in [her] heart,” but soccer ended up being her true calling.

However, Bailey still utilizes the lessons she learned from each sport, making her a well-rounded athlete for the Gators with an impressive arsenal of skills.

“There wouldn’t be a second where I didn’t say anything in lacrosse, and that translates,” Bailey said. “I think basketball helped me [be] reactive, my speed of play. Volleyball helped with my timing for headers, lot of communication. Flag football, I’d say footwork and having the quickness to [do] a quick little move and get around the defender.”

Her talent is evident on the field. In 2024, Bailey has proven herself as a key player for Florida’s offense, collecting two goals this season and six in her UF career.

“I mean, you can’t leave her alone [on defense],” UF head coach Samantha Bohon said. “You can’t ignore her… She’s a threat every time she’s in the game.” 

With her relentless determination, Bailey’s long-term goal is to play professional soccer. Though, as the Gators continue SEC play, Bailey keeps her goals simple and focused.

“I feel like we’re taking it game by game," Bailey said. “I’d say just staying consistent, improving and getting better every day [is important].”

Contact Amanda Roman at aroman@alligator.org. Follow her on X @mandy_romannn

Amanda Roman

Amanda Roman is a sophomore sports journalism major and The Alligator's Fall 2024 Soccer Reporter. She interned for Fort Lauderdale United FC this past summer as the team's journalist. In her free time, she enjoys lifting, shopping and reading.