Sunday, September 29, 2024

Kennedy Martin’s dominant day not enough in SEC home opener

The Gators committed 37 errors in the contest

<p>Florida sophomore Kennedy Martin celebrates a service ace during the fourth set of the Gators' match vs the Kentucky Wildcats on Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024.</p>

Florida sophomore Kennedy Martin celebrates a service ace during the fourth set of the Gators' match vs the Kentucky Wildcats on Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024.

The fourth set was played like both team’s seasons were on the line. It was back-and-forth action, as fans inside a packed Stephen C. O’Connell Center screamed after every Florida point and anguished after every Kentucky kill.

After 15 ties and seven lead changes in the fourth set alone, Kentucky sophomore outside hitter Brooklyn DeLeye served up an ace to win the set 30-28, claiming the match victory.

Despite the loss, there was a shining light for the Gators: sophomore outside hitter Kennedy Martin.

She recorded a joint season-high 25 kills and a team-high five service aces. She was the only Gator to record double-digit kills in the contest.

Moreover, UF committed 37 errors in the match, 19 of which were attacking errors. The Gators also finished the match with a .242 hitting percentage compared to Kentucky’s .358.

The mistakes added up for No. 15 Florida (10-3, 1-1 SEC) as No. 12 Kentucky (7-6, 1-1 SEC) defeated UF  in a four-set thriller.

Most of Florida’s success in the contest came on quality serves. The Gators racked up 12 service aces. However, Kentucky dominated near the net, tallying nine blocks to Florida’s four.

The Gators started the first set off strong, but multiple scoring runs from the Wildcats gave them control of the frame. From there, Kentucky dominated play, winning the set 25-19.

In the set, Florida committed nine errors to Kentucky’s four, while the Wildcats racked up three times as many blocks as the Gators.

Redshirt sophomore setter Alexis Stucky played the first set for the Gators, adding 10 assists and five digs before being subbed out of the match before the second frame. She would not return until late in the fourth set.

With the reigning SEC Player of the Week off the court, freshman setter Taylor Parks was given the task of dictating Florida’s offense. She totaled 28 assists and three aces.

Kentucky started the second set on a 4-0 run before the Gators stormed back to even the score at nine apiece.

Martin was sensational in the set comeback, racking up three service aces in the frame.

However, the Gators committed 13 errors, allowing Kentucky to regain its lead and ultimately win the set 25-20.

The must-win third set started strong for the Gators, as Martin delivered two early kills.

Kentucky attempted to muster a comeback but was thwarted as Martin couldn’t seem to be stopped. She recorded eight kills in the third frame.

Florida cleaned up its play in the set, only recording four errors as it took victory in the set 25-20.

In the fourth set, the action was back-and-forth with neither side gaining more than a three-point lead. Despite excellence from Martin, the Wildcats claimed the match victory.

DeLeye, who is Kentucky’s kills leader this season, had a team-high 24 kills in the contest, as well as eight digs and two service aces. 

Florida will await a visit from two-time defending national champion Texas, with the top-15 clash scheduled at the Stephen C. O'Connell Center set for Oct. 6 at 1 p.m.

Contact Max Bernstein at mbernstein@alligator.org. Follow him on X @maxbernstein23.

Max Bernstein