Saturday, September 28, 2024

How to be blue, orange and green

We’ve all heard we should reduce, reuse and recycle, but what’s next?

As we become more aware of the environmental challenges that our planet faces, choices that promote environmentally-friendly behavior have not just become important, but necessary.

Many of us Gators walk, ride a bike or take public transportation around and off campus. While these options allow for more sustainable travel, students should be aware of some key information. After UF announced the decision to decrease its financial contribution to the Gainesville RTS bus system in the spring of this year, a system serving 39 routes with five dedicated UF routes, according to WUFT, students expressed concern over how to get to class. 

After receiving these complaints, UF decided to extend its financial contribution until Jan. 1. While this is a temporary solution, a more permanent decision looms large for the future of student access to the RTS system. Many student and local organizations, such as Sunrise Movement Gainesville and the Gainesville chapter of the Amalgamated Transportation Union protested the decrease of these funds, pushing for a lasting solution. Stay aware of these upcoming decisions, and consider getting involved in organizations that prioritize your access to campus transportation.

In addition to the bus system, more services allow students to travel easily in a sustainable way. For cyclists, the SG Bike Repair on the first floor of the Reitz Union services bicycles for free with a valid Gator1 ID, and appointments can be booked online for faster service. Additionally, bike lanes around and off campus allow for greater safety for bike riders. For longer trips, if a car is needed for travel, students should try to carpool with their friends or use popular ride-sharing apps such as Hitch or Scoop. Not only will these decisions limit emissions from transportation, but also limit traffic around campus.

Becoming more aware of where your food comes from and how it affects the environment is another way to promote sustainability in your everyday life. For students that eat at the dining hall, many campus dining facilities such as The Eatery at Broward and The Food Hall at Gator Corner provide details about whether a dish is “climate friendly.” According to UF’s Dine On Campus website, these options are marked as climate friendly as they are recipes with low greenhouse gas emissions. If you’re not eating at the dining hall, a way to make your diet more sustainable is to try to implement more plant-based foods in your meals in the place of red meat and dairy products.

Beyond individual practices, many organizations around campus can be found advocating for sustainable practices. Two great organizations are Sunrise Movement Gainesville and Climate Action Gator. Also, UF’s Office of Sustainability lists internship and volunteer opportunities relating to sustainability and conservation around Gainesville on its website, and it showcases upcoming events where students can get involved to promote sustainability on campus.

Finally, make sure you and your friends are registered to vote by visiting the State of Florida Voter Lookup or the records for the state in which you are registered to vote. If you are voting in another state or registered to vote in another location in Florida, make sure you request your vote-by-mail ballot, or consider changing your voter registration to Alachua County by Oct. 7 for the presidential election. Keep track of local and state elections so you can be a voice that speaks for conservation efforts in the state of Florida and beyond.

Gracie Adams is a UF environmental science freshman.