Monday, September 16, 2024
Florida middle blocker Jaela Aguste prepares to hit the ball during the second set of their match vs the USF Bulls on Friday, Sept. 6.

Both teams matched each other’s energy - the South Florida bench yelled after every point to compensate for the booming student section. 

USF ran up the score 13-10, and built off of its momentum in the fifth set to close out the match.

Florida (3-1) lost its home opener to South Florida (1-3) on Day 1 of the Florida Invitational. Florida and South Florida went head-to-head in an intense match. 

Freshmen middle blockers Jaela Auguste and Alec Rothe as well as setter Taylor Parks shined, compensating for redshirt sophomore setter Alexis Stucky and sophomore outside hitter Kennedy Martin’s absences in yet another match.

Florida started off strong in the first set with a 4-0 lead. Redshirt senior outside hitter Isabel Martin started off in her typical fashion with a series of kills. 

After an early timeout by South Florida, UF junior middle blocker Amaya Thomas and fifth-year outside hitter AC Fitzpatrick responded with a  block.Fitzpatrick finished the match with 11 kills. 

South Florida began to inch the score back 19-10, but Florida cruised to a set victory. 

Florida won the first set 25-15, finished off by a kill from Martin, one of her six in the set and 19 in the match.

South Florida responded to its first set loss with more energy and power, creating a tighter second set.

Florida started off  with powerful kills from Thomas and year position Rothe, but South Florida tied the score 9-9. 

South Florida took its first lead of the match 11-10 after an attack error from Rothe. From there, the Bulls lengthened their lead to 16-12 as the cheering and excitement from the USF bench grew. 

Kills from Martin and Rothe narrowed the set back down to 18-15 while bringing the energy up in the O’Dome 

Eventually, Florida called another timeout after the Bulls secured a 23-20 lead. 

South Florida secured the second set  25-22. 

Thomas threw down a kill early in the third set, setting the pace for Florida.

The Gators finished the third set 25-12, preparing to take the win in the fourth set. 

Set four played out similarly to set two, with both teams playing neck-and-neck. As Florida looked to secure the win, South Florida fought to defend itself. 

The energy in the O’Dome grew with the crowd erupting after each kill and block.  

The set was tied at 19-19, until the Bulls took the set 25-23 after a series of kills and attack errors by Florida. 

The fifth set opened with both teams looking to come out triumphant.

South Florida's bench became electric after a block, putting them ahead 3-2. 

Both teams matched each other’s energy. The South Florida bench yelled after every point to compensate for the rocking UFstudent section. 

USF ran up the score 13-10, and Found a rhythm to close out the fifth set 15-10 off of a kill. 

Florida will remain at home to face Southern Indiana on day two of the Florida Invitational. The two squads are set to take the courtSaturday at 4 p.m.

Contact Shaine Davison at sdavison@alligator.org. Follow her on X @shainedavison.