Monday, September 16, 2024

Florida seeking to bounce back from lackluster season opener

The Gators are coming off a 41-17 loss to Miami Saturday

Florida Gators quarterback Graham Mertz hits Miami Hurricanes defensive back Chris Wheatley-Humphrey at the end of his run on Saturday, Aug. 31, 2024.

In the weeks leading up to Florida’s season opener against Miami, there was an overwhelming sense of optimism around the Gators’ football facility. Players, coaches and fans shared a belief that the program was ready to turn around for the better.

Following a far-from-perfect 2023 season, Florida head coach Billy Napier could have silenced any remaining doubts that the team could compete in an already competitive pool of SEC squads this season.

All it took was four hours of football for that positive outlook to be flushed away.

After a 41-17 loss to Miami to open 2024, questions and criticisms regarding Florida’s future have already returned to the forefront of the program. 

“You’ve got to be a man and you've got to take responsibility for the things that you can do better,” Napier said after the game. “If you really care about the team, you'll work at it.”

Most of the blame has been put on Napier, who many analysts believe could be on the hot seat should the Gators continue to underperform this season.

Napier, however, has remained adamant that the team’s performance on Saturday was far from its best and that the loss will serve as a stepping stone for the Gators to continue their development.

“The sun is going to come up tomorrow, and we're going to go back to work,” he said. “Ultimately, I think there's not much for us to talk about right now. We've got to go play better. That's where we're going to spend our time.”

In his post-game remarks following Florida’s loss to Miami, Napier acknowledged his squad was “outcoached… and outplayed”.

From a lack of time and space created from the offensive line to a lack of discipline resulting in several costly miscues from the defense, the UF head coach called it an “embarrassing” performance.

“I don’t have a ton of excuses,” Napier said. “We struggled to produce any running game outside of one explosive [play]… Obviously, we had a couple of key penalties, and defensively, outside of the third down, we didn’t do too much.”

For Florida fans, these acknowledgments are perhaps beginning to lose credibility as the team seemingly continues to go backward in its rebuild.           

The Gators are coming off their first stretch of three consecutive losing seasons since 1949, and Saturday’s performance did little to reassure anyone that UF’s dog days are over.

While the clock continues to tick on Napier and his prospective rebuild of Florida’s football program, his players have made it clear they are standing by his side no matter what this year may bring.

Senior wide receiver Chimere Dike, who transferred from Wisconsin to join the Gators in the Spring, said the team is already putting their week one loss behind them while turning its attention to the remainder of the season.

“You prepare all camp and then come out and make mistakes, it doesn’t feel good,” Dike said. “But I think that the only thing you can do is grow from here. We have a lot of games left, and I think that’s kind of the mentality that we’re taking.”

For now, the sentiment in Florida’s locker room remains clear: Saturday's performance was a far cry from what this team expects — and believes — it’s capable of. Redshirt junior edge rusher Justus Boone, who Napier previously cited as a leader for Florida’s defensive platoon, echoed this viewpoint when addressing the media following UF’s loss to the Hurricanes.

Boone limited his credit towards Miami’s offensive line largely because of the Gators’ inability to create any pressure on UM senior quarterback Cam Ward. Instead, he took responsibility for both his teammates and himself for what he saw as an overall lackluster outing.

“No disrespect, I’m not saying that their offensive line is not good or anything like that, but I’m an accountable guy,” Boone said. “I’m not fitting to give nobody credit [for] saying they did something to me… It’s nothing they did special. I feel like we beat ourselves today.”

Napier will need to make a massive statement next week, and it could come at a perfect time as one of Florida’s easier opponents of 2024 is set to come to town.

Florida will remain home for its week two matchup against Samford Saturday at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium at 7 p.m.

In the last meeting between the two, the Gators came away with what many saw as a hollow victory in a 70-52 shootout in Dan Mullen’s final season as Florida’s head coach in 2021.

“If you play this game, you’re going to experience ups and downs, and it challenges all the intangibles that you work on building with your team,” Napier said. “We have a group that I think will stand up, go back to work and try to improve and do their job. But we have to go prove it on the grass.”  

Contact Jack Meyer at jmeyer@alligator.org. Follow him on X @jackmeyerUF.

Jack Meyer

Jack Meyer is a fourth-year journalism major and the Assistant Sports Editor for The Alligator. In his free time, he enjoys reviewing music, spending time with friends, playing video games and going to the gym.