Monday, September 30, 2024

Florida’s struggles continue in road loss to Missouri

The Gators suffered their second consecutive SEC road loss, despite outshooting Missouri 20-7

The Florida soccer team huddles pregame before its match with the Arkansas Razorbacks Thursday, Oct. 6, 2022.

Hurricane Helene added to Florida’s challenging schedule, making UF the first SEC team to have three consecutive away matches since 2012. Florida’s match against Tennessee on Sept. 26 was postponed and hasn’t been rescheduled. 

As they have all year long, the Gators dominated the number of scoring chances created against Missouri in opportunities and attacks on offense, with 20 shots compared to Missouri’s seven, but they were unable to break through for a goal. 

Florida (3-1-5, 0-1-2 SEC) suffered its second SEC road defeat in a 2-0 loss to Missouri (2-6-2, 1-2-1 SEC) on Sunday, extending the Gators’ losing streak in conference play to 2 games. 

In just the first eight minutes of the first half, the Gators conceded two goals to Missouri off a pair of corner kicks. 

“We experienced a costly lesson tonight- you can’t play anything short of 90 hard minutes and expect a result in the SEC,” Florida head coach Samantha Bohon said. “The opening eight minutes were the difference in the game, Giving up two goals off set pieces like that is inexcusable.”

After a fast-paced start to the match, Missouri senior midfielder Milena Fischer took the first corner kick of the night. Missouri freshman defender Callaway Combs set the ball up for sophomore midfielder Olivia Chianelli, who found the back of the net for a quick 1-0 lead.

The Tigers’ early lead gave them the momentum they needed to continue breaking through the Gators’ defense. 

As Florida struggled to regain its footing, Missouri junior forward Kylee Simmons scored on a penalty kick in the seventh minute. The penalty came after UF graduate student goalkeeper Alexa Goldberg fouled Chianelli in a desperate attempt to stop the shot in front of the goal.

The two goals gave the Tigers a steady 2-0 lead that carried them throughout the match. 

Junior defender/forward Lauren McCLoskey sent the ball forward to sophomore forward Lena Bailey at minute 16:48. Bailey attempted to get Florida back on track by beating out two Missouri defenders for a shot, but she narrowly missed the goal and hit the left pole. 

With 21 minutes left in the first half, the match was temporarily paused after UF freshman defender Skye Barnes was hit in the face after a one-on-one heading matchup.

The break resulted in the Gators picking up their intensity and shot attempts on offense. Freshman forward Vera Blom took a promising shot at minute 28, but Missouri sophomore goalkeeper Kate Phillips tipped the ball over the crossbar. 

Phillips was crucial in the Tigers’ victory over the Gators, recording nine total saves on all nine of Florida’s shots on goal in the match. 

“We created plenty of chances tonight and either their keeper made a great save or we didn’t finish,” Bohon said.

In the first ten minutes of the second half, Phillips tallied two consecutive saves that kept Florida scoreless.

Still looking to muster a comeback, Florida hoped to get its first SEC goal in the last four minutes of the match with a play into the penalty box by Blom to Barnes. Barnes touched the ball forward to Bailey; however, contact by Missouri’s defense stopped Bailey from reaching the ball. The officials reviewed the play for a potential penalty, but they ultimately ruled against it.

The match heated up as the Gators pressed hard on Missouri’s defense down the stretch, with Missouri junior midfielder Keegan Good receiving a yellow card for an aggressive tackle on Bailey.

Florida had one last chance to score when junior sophomore midfielder/forward Delaney Tellex took the last shot of the match, but Phillips did not let up on her shutout. 

“We can’t outshoot a team 20 to 7 and lose,” Bohon said. “There’s no excuse. We will put our heads together as a staff and regroup for Friday’s home match.”

The Gators will look to regroup as they return  to Donald R. Dizney Stadium for their first SEC home match against Texas on Friday. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. 

Contact Amanda Roman at aroman@alligator.org. Follow her on X @mandy_romannn

Amanda Roman

Amanda Roman is a sophomore sports journalism major and The Alligator's Fall 2024 Soccer Reporter. She interned for Fort Lauderdale United FC this past summer as the team's journalist. In her free time, she enjoys lifting, shopping and reading.