Sunday, September 22, 2024

Florida’s offense stagnant in first SEC loss against No. 6 Auburn

The Gators were unable to hang on following a late goal from the undefeated Tigers

The Florida soccer team huddles pregame before its match with the Arkansas Razorbacks Thursday, Oct. 6, 2022.

Auburn capitalized on a foul called on UF sophomore forward Amelia Malkin in the 64th minute of the match to secure the lead. Graduate student midfielders Becky Contreras and Anna Haddock executed a set piece, allowing sophomore forward Jordyn Crosby to maneuver her way past a disorganized Florida defense to get the ball in the back of the net. 

However, the match originally began with Florida dominating the field. The Gators controlled nearly every aspect of the game, from physicality on defense to counter-attacking and maintaining possession on offense. 

Eight minutes into the first half, sophomore forward Lena Bailey was on the cusp of scoring, but Auburn graduate student goalkeeper Maddie Prohaska came away with a save on the play. Junior defender/forward Lauren McCloskey almost notched her first career goal in an attempt to get the Gators on the scoreboard in the last three minutes of the half, but Prohaska once again stopped the shot in its tracks.

Throughout the first half, the Gators disrupted Auburn’s offensive rhythm. The Tigers were unable to capitalize on high balls, finding themselves offsides five times in the first half. Graduate student defenders Emilee Hauser and Daviana Vaka stood as stalwarts on defense, stopping Auburn’s offense with numerous clean tackles.

Still, the match remained scoreless at halftime. The Tigers weren’t able to get a single shot on goal, while Florida landed a pair of shots on goal.

In a turn of events, the second half gave way to a rejuvenated Auburn offense. Haddock, Contreras and senior midfielder Sydnie Thibodaux each took a shot in the first seven minutes, setting the tone for the rest of the match.

After taking the lead, Auburn’s time of possession improved dramatically, with Auburn amassing 12 total shots compared to Florida’s seven. 

With the match slipping away, the Gators almost tied the game with a shot by redshirt junior forward Sophie White. However, the ball hit the crossbar and bounced down back into the box, only to be punched out by Prohaska. 

Florida plays its first home SEC match against Tennessee on Thursday at 7 p.m. 

Contact Amanda Roman at aroman@alligator.org. Follow her on X @mandy_romannn

Amanda Roman

Amanda Roman is a sophomore sports journalism major and The Alligator's Fall 2024 Soccer Reporter. She interned for Fort Lauderdale United FC this past summer as the team's journalist. In her free time, she enjoys lifting, shopping and reading.