Sunday, September 15, 2024

Florida’s chance at victory slips away in draw against Towson

The Gators tied for the third time this season after Towson scored a last-second goal.

Junior defender Madison Young prepares to pass the ball in the Gators' 1-1 draw against the Kentucky Wildcats Sunday, Sept. 24, 2023.

A chaotic showdown unraveled in Florida’s away match against Towson, with the Gators receiving five yellow cards and their first red card of the season after committing 24 total fouls. 

Despite Florida (2-0-3) holding a narrow 1-0 lead for the majority of the match, Towson (2-2-2) managed to tie the game in the last 10 seconds, forcing Florida to settle for its third draw of the season Sunday. 

The match started with a foul on UF redshirt junior midfielder Charlotte McClure just four minutes into the first half.

Shortly after, graduate student goalkeeper Alexa Goldberg made a save against Towson forward Courtney Butlion. 

Florida found itself on the wrong end of these calls throughout the first half, amassing 12 total fouls to Towson’s four. 

Graduate student defender Emilee Hauser was the first to land a shot on goal, but Towson senior goalkeeper Riley Melendez saved it. After being subbed in at minute 28, redshirt junior forward Sophie White attempted a shot of her own, but missed the goal.

Hauser again took another shot at the goal to break the draw, but Melendez saved the shot in the top center of the net. 

The match heated up in the last seven minutes of the first half, with two yellow cards issued on junior midfielder Kaela Standish and graduate student defender Daviana Vaka for unsportsmanlike conduct. White and freshman midfielder Norah Abbott also attempted a pair of shots in that span, but neither made it past Melendez.

Florida entered halftime scoreless, only landing one of five shots on goal in the half, while Towson put two of its three on goal.

One minute into the second half, Hauser took a free kick allowing sophomore forward Lena Bailey to get her foot on the ball, scoring her second goal of the season while putting Florida ahead 1-0. 

Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Jayden Emmaneul started the second half in net for the Gators, but her time was short-lived due to a foul at minute 68:58. Emmanuel received a red card for committing a hard foul on Towson graduate student forward Kale’a Perry while defending a goal scoring opportunity. 

Graduate student goalkeeper Alexa Goldberg returned, but Florida had to play the rest of the match short one player.

The tension on the field only intensified as both teams continued to give their all until the final whistle. Towson continued to push forward with the match still in reach, hoping to spark a comeback. 

Graduate student defender Josie Curtis received a yellow card for persistent infringement, while Abbott and Perry were hit with a pair of yellow cards of their own later in the match.

In a dramatic turn of events,Towson senior defender/midfielder Maja Hansson scored off a free kick taken by sophomore midfielder Sophie Thibeault with just ten seconds left in the match. 

The Gators ended in a draw 1-1 for the third time this season. 

Florida will face No. 1 Florida State (4-0-1) at home on Sunday at 2 p.m.

Contact Amanda Roman at aroman@alligator.org. Follow her on X @mandy_romannn

Amanda Roman

Amanda Roman is a sophomore sports journalism major and The Alligator's Fall 2024 Soccer Reporter. She interned for Fort Lauderdale United FC this past summer as the team's journalist. In her free time, she enjoys lifting, shopping and reading.