Sunday, September 15, 2024

Alachua County School Board reapplies for early childhood music education funding

Data from program participation during previous school year showed increase in student exam scores

<p>A sign in front of the Alachua County Public Schools district office building is seen Sunday, June 6, 2021.</p>

A sign in front of the Alachua County Public Schools district office building is seen Sunday, June 6, 2021.

The Alachua County School Board sent in its application Wednesday for a Florida Department of Education grant to once again pursue the Early Childhood Music Education Incentive Program. 

The statewide grant and program started in 2023 and provides kindergarten through second-grade students with music appreciation, music composition and instrument training in twice-weekly, 30-minute classes. 

Studies from the National Institute of Health show that children who undergo music training have better verbal memory, reading ability and executive functioning skills. 

Joram Rejouis, ACPS Director of Project Development, said the program strengthens foundations taught in classrooms such as reading, keeping time and learning to count. Students will also get the opportunity to perform for their parents, he said. 

“The results have been very positive,” he said. “Music education is a great, great addition to students and for children in their development, especially at such a young age. We are fortunate in Alachua County.” 

According to the ACPS grant application, data from the 2023-24 Early Childhood Music Grant Program saw an average of a two point increase in Florida Assessment of Student Thinking exam scores for at least 42% of the students in reading. 

In Alachua County, the program covers six Title I schools totaling 1,420 students, which increased from the 2023-24 school year, when only five Title I schools participated.

The $213,000 in requested grant funding will be used to purchase supplies such as music sheets and percussion instruments including xylophones, Tubano drums and metallophones. 

The state grant and project was originally a pilot program, but Rejouis said its success across the state allowed ACPS to reapply. The statewide grant reapplication is determined on a year-to-year basis. 

Rejouis said he hopes to hear from the Department of Education by the end of August. 

Contact Sara-James Ranta at sranta@alligator.org. Follow her on X @sarajamesranta.

Sara-James Ranta

Sara-James Ranta is a third-year journalism major, minoring in sociology of social justice and policy. Previously, she served as a general assignment reporter for The Alligator's university desk.