Friday, September 13, 2024

Manatee medicine, fashion shows and cook-offs: How to get involved at UF

UF’s Student Engagement organizations offer Gators the opportunity to make friends and learn

<p>Julisia Hernandez, a 21-year-old mechanical engineering senior, celebrates after winning a flying disc that Kyle Eastman, a 29-year-old alumnus, holds at Alpha Omega Campus Ministry’s booth at the the Spring Student Org Fair on Wednesday. “Anybody can come join,” Eastman said about the ministry.</p>

Julisia Hernandez, a 21-year-old mechanical engineering senior, celebrates after winning a flying disc that Kyle Eastman, a 29-year-old alumnus, holds at Alpha Omega Campus Ministry’s booth at the the Spring Student Org Fair on Wednesday. “Anybody can come join,” Eastman said about the ministry.

UF’s student organization roster boasts well over 1,000 entries, and other clubs on campus that are not funded by Student Government. Here’s a closer look at some active student organizations.

American Meteorological Society at UF

The American Meteorological Society at UF is a branch of a national group of the same name. The organization, revived in 2021 after a 10-year hiatus due to low membership, advocated for and succeeded in adding a UF meteorology major, which becomes available this fall. 

The club is especially active during hurricane season, and monthly meetings take place alongside field trips to weather stations and weather balloon launches. The club also connects students with internship and scholarship opportunities within the meteorology field.

The club will meet to watch the tornado-themed film Twisters” Sept. 13.

“If [students] are interested in weather and meteorology, we want people to join the club, no matter what your interest level is,” said Michael Self, a 22-year-old UF meteorology and geography senior and AMS-UF president.

Culinary Arts Student Union

The Culinary Arts Student Union educates students about culinary techniques and the sociology of food. 

CASU president Gabriella Hamilton, a 21-year-old UF English senior, said experimenting with unfamiliar cuisines is a unique and interactive way to spark cultural conversations.

“[CASU] is a space where all cultures are kind of being represented in this way that can be taught and can be used as a way to unite groups of people,” Hamilton said.

CASU showcases dishes from around the world during meetings. It also hosts themed cooking classes, including Caribbean, Ukrainian and Egyptian cuisines. CASU plans to hold Colombian and soul food classes this fall, as well as an Oct. 1 cooking competition inspired by the Food Network series “Chopped.”

Participation in cooking classes is free, but there’s limited availability.

English Society

The English Society welcomes English and non-English majors to engage with literature and the humanities. Club President Tristan Krammel said the club engages members in literary topics and discussions during meetings. Guest speakers, namely UF English professors, also attend. 

“[The club] is just a way for people who are interested in the humanities at all to partake and share interesting knowledge,” Krammel said.

The English Society also hosts professional development workshops, which involve activities like research application prep and an annual English Studies Spring Conference, where students present personal research projects.

Florida Undergraduate Law Review 

The Florida Undergraduate Law Review is a pre-law, student-run journal that publishes student-written articles. Articles cover legal topics that help students develop their research and writing skills. 

Articles by the FULR have covered topics ranging from climate refugee law to the way artificial intelligence is being implemented in the legal system. 

“We are a very loving organization and we’re very open to help you grow,” said club co-managing editor Abraham Hilu, a 25-year-old UF political science senior.

Hispanic-Latine Student Association 

The Hispanic-Latine Student Association informs members about political events, career opportunities and other cultural organizations while offering a place to meet fellow Hispanic students.

“The main appeal [to HSA] is community,” said HSA president Matthew Urra, a 21-year-old UF political science and economics senior. “It’s for the people, a lot who are from Latin-Hispanic backgrounds.”

HSA plans on providing students with information on the removal of diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives on campus and informing students about civic literacy and voting. HSA also plans to hold social events, like a picnic in the Plaza of the Americas. The date is to be decided.

Pre-Veterinary Medicine Club

The Pre-Veterinary Medicine Club connects students with experiences in the veterinary field. Events have included manatee surgery practice, guest speaker events and trips to conferences and symposiums. The club plans to host a local veterinarian as a guest speaker as well as a horse-handling workshop this fall.

“Our club has a lot of hands-on activities,” said club President Alexandra Adamo, a 20-year-old UF wildlife ecology and conservation junior. “If you really want to get an idea of what the veterinary field is like, we do a really good job of preparing students for that and also giving them a community to fall back on.”

Society of Physics Students

The Society of Physics Students provides physics classes and workshops to develop students’ professional skills. The club hosts coffee-cookie time, a weekly gathering of students to share homemade cookies and coffee, before the physics department’s Thursday colloquium events held in room 1002 of the Physics Building. Any student, regardless of their major, can join the club.

“There are ways to enjoy physics in a wide variety of fields, whether that’s through botany or engineering or astrophysics,” said club Treasurer Monique Kubovsky, 20-year-old UF physics and math junior.

Mode at UF

Mode is UF’s student-run fashion club, which brings fashion-forward students together to explore their creative interests and express themselves through style.

Mode hosts a meeting and a social every month, alongside a workshop, which can cover topics such as sewing and upcycling. Mode hosts fashion shows for members to design and model their outfits. Last year’s show, Folklore, centered around traditional stories from the theme of Eastern European folklore.

“Fashion [organizations] sound intimidating, yes you can expect people to come in cool outfits,” said Mode Vice President Nathaniel Parkes, a 20-year-old UF linguistics and computer science senior, said. “But it’s often those people that, when you really talk to them, are super down to earth.” 

Contact Avery Parker at aparker@alligator.org. Follow him on X @AveryParke98398.

Avery Parker

Avery Parker is a third-year English and History major covering university affairs for The Alligator. Outside of reporting, Avery spends his time doting on his cats, reading, and listening to music by the Manwolves.