Saturday, September 14, 2024

UF Board of Trustees approves $25 million merit raise pool for staff and non-union faculty

Board Chairman says UF is looking out for its faculty and staff

The UF Board of Trustees listen to public comment at its meeting where Ben Sasse's candidacy is being discussed at Emerson Alumni Hall Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2022.

The UF Board of Trustees unanimously voted Aug. 12 in favor of allocating $25 million to raise pools for staff and out-of-unit faculty, according to a UF news release. 

Board chair Mori Hosseini said the funding allows for the university to ensure that staff and faculty are “taken care of,” championing the measure as “the largest raise pool in at least the past 20 years.”

Only out-of-unit faculty members are eligible to receive raises through these pools, meaning faculty who are in the faculty union’s bargaining unit are not eligible and will have to seek raises through bargaining. Article 24 of the United Florida Faculty-UF contract with UF stipulates that “in each year of this agreement the University shall provide a raise pool allocated between merit and across-the-board” raises. 

The Board of Trustees additionally approved $10,000 bonuses for faculty whose rank “exceeds expectations” in their post-tenure review evaluations. In the state’s first round of post-tenure review this year, the university deemed 89 of the 226 UF tenured faculty who were reviewed as exceeding expectations.

“We are very proud of our faculty and thrilled to be able to provide these bonuses,” Hosseini wrote in the news release. “We truly prioritize our people.”

Contact Avery Parker at aparker@alligator.org. Follow him on X @AveryParke98398.

Avery Parker

Avery Parker is a third-year English and History major covering university affairs for The Alligator. Outside of reporting, Avery spends his time doting on his cats, reading, and listening to music by the Manwolves.