Friday, September 13, 2024

Patience and persistence: Ja’Markis Weston and Derek Wingo’s UF football journey

The redshirt senior edge rusher and middle linebacker are preparing for their fifth and sixth seasons at Florida

UF head coach Billy Napier during the Gators' rivalry game against Florida State Friday, Nov. 25, 2022.

Over the past six years, Florida football players, coaches and fans experienced some of the highest and lowest points in program history. Nobody may have a better understanding of this than redshirt senior edge rusher Ja’Markis Weston and redshirt senior linebacker Derek Wingo.

Despite a wacky 2020 season filled with COVID-19 rules and regulations, UF was coming off its third-straight New Year’s Six bowl game appearance. The future under former head coach Dan Mullen looked promising.

Weston entered his redshirt sophomore season in 2021, but the program started to spiral, leading to a coaching change amid the worst three-year stretch of Florida football since the 1940s. 

But Weston — who was recruited by Mullen to play wide receiver and is now embarking on his fourth position at UF — provided an ultimate team-first mentality.

“It’s been an amazing journey,” Weston said. “I have no complaints. Going in day in and day out, working with my brothers, just being able to be here with them to show them the ropes. Not self-serving, but being able to just bring everybody together as one.”

After playing receiver in his first three seasons at UF, Weston transitioned to the defensive side of the ball, where he played safety, linebacker and now edge. He’s also provided a valuable role for the special teams group as a gunner.

Today, it’s more common than ever for a player to hop in the transfer portal, whether it’s to pursue more playing time or a new head coach. Weston’s mindset was just the opposite.

“It’s all about taking advantage of your time,” Weston said. “That’s what I stayed here for. [I’m] just trying to pour into the young guys, making sure they do the right thing and holding them up to the standard that was set way before us.”

Weston’s production for the Gators likely wasn’t what he envisioned when he arrived at UF. After choosing Florida over Penn State and Tennessee, he caught just six passes for 81 yards and one touchdown in his first three seasons donning the orange and blue.

But the lessons on and off the field were an invaluable experience for Weston. His commitment to the program despite his lack of in-game reps and position changes taught him a life-long lesson.

“There’s a lot to learn with football,” Weston said. “You just got to put your head down and be able to grow and be able to be versatile. It’s going to add up later on.”

After receiving nearly 30 Division I offers, Wingo had high hopes for his collegiate career. He was named the 2019 Gatorade Florida Football Player of the Year but has been unable to solidify himself in a starting role for the Gators.

Entering his fifth year at UF, redshirt senior linebacker Derek Wingo has also had a taste of both the recent successes and failures of the program.

“I’ve had the unique opportunity here at the University of Florida,” Wingo said. “When you think about everything that I’ve been through here, two different head coaches, four different strength head coaches, three different position coaches [and] four different DCs.”

Stepping into a leadership position can be difficult, but Wingo embraced it. He has a keen understanding of the winning history within the program and is driven to get Florida back to elite status.

“That’s what it’s all about,” Wingo said. “Passing things down to guys younger so that we’re all able to get better as a whole because when you’re being a leader to others, it’s really just helping you at the end of the day as well.”

The quarterback position in football is often thought of as the most crucial one in the sport. It’s not only important they know how to read a defense or make an audible, but to have someone who embraces his teammates’ hardships.

This is exactly what the Gators have in redshirt senior quarterback Graham Mertz. The Wisconsin transfer is entering his sixth collegiate season and has been at the forefront of Florida’s improved culture and brotherhood during Weston and Wingo’s final seasons.

“This is the closest team I’ve ever been on,” Mertz said. “I think the guys genuinely love each other. They care about each other… They’ve done that work ahead of time because they want to, not just because they have to, [and] you see that transfer to the field.”

Contact Max Tucker at mtucker@alligator.org. Follow him on X @Max_Tuckr1.

Max Tucker

Max Tucker is a junior transfer student at UF. After obtaining his A.A. in Journalism from Santa Fe College in 2023, he chose further his education at Florida's College of Journalism and Communications. Max is currently pursuing his Bachelor of Science in Journalism with a specialization in sports and media. He enjoys golfing and going to the beach with his friends in his free time.