Monday, September 09, 2024

Meet your candidates for the Alachua County primary election

A breakdown of who’s on the ballot Aug. 20

CORRECTION: The Alligator incorrectly reported Alachua County School Board Seat District 4 candidate Lew Welge worked for Alachua County Public Schools. The article has been updated to reflect that he worked for Florida public schools.

The upcoming primary election season brings eight open seats and six competitive races in Alachua County. 

Constituents will have the opportunity to vote on county commission, sheriff, school board and city commission seats. 

For every competitive race, the primary election will determine which candidate will represent the party during the November general election. For non-partisan races, the primary election will serve as their general election, and if a candidate does not receive over 50% of the vote there will be a runoff during the Nov. 5 general election. 

Florida is a closed primary state, meaning only voters who are registered with each candidate’s affiliated party may vote in the races. 

Alachua County Commission Seat District 1

Incumbent County Commission Chair Mary Alford will run for the Democratic nomination representing District 1 in competition with Gainesville resident Dejeon Cain. 

Born and raised in Alachua County, Alford said she spent her past three years on the commission upholding the campaign promises from her first election, which include strides in affordable housing projects, over 700 miles of road maintenance projects and a local Climate Vulnerability Analysis. 

“I have the experience as an engineer, a former small business owner, a lesbian, a mom, an Alachua County native, a sustainability consultant and an environmentalist,” she wrote in an email. 

In the event of her reelection in November, Alford said she will pivot her focus to jail reform to address the “inhumane” ways in which the current system is designed and the deprioritization of inmate reentry programs. A lack of affordable housing also burdens the county, which she said will be mitigated by county-backed projects from the housing trust fund she will see to fruition. 

Before serving as a county commissioner, Alford served on the Alachua County Environmental Protection Advisory Board, the Code Enforcement Board and Gainesville's Utility Advisory Board.

In competition for the democratic nomination, “life-long son of Alachua County” Dejeon Cain serves as chair of the Gainesville Human Rights Board and was previously helmsman of the Affordable Housing Committee. He has also worked with Fortitude Security, a private security and patrol firm, according to his campaign website

A description on the website read in part, “His unfaltering devotion to uphold the spirit of our neighborhoods, guaranteeing the safety of our budding flowers – our children, and advocating for a future underscored by progressive energy policies sets Dejeon as the beacon we should turn to.” 

A representative of Cain’s campaign did not respond in time for publication. 

Lizabeth Doebler will run unopposed for the District 1 Alachua County Commission Republican nomination, automatically advancing to the general election. 

Gainesville City Commission At Large Seat A

With Commissioner Reina Saco deciding against a run for reelection, her non-partisan city commission seat is open to a competition between Gainesville residents James Ingle and Fareed “Reed” Johnson. 

Ingle previously served as President of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers and a member of the Alachua County Plan Board, and he expressed the importance of affordable house projects. 

Homelessness and housing insecurity stem from individual financial struggles, which he said could be mitigated through responsible city spending. 

In favor of the GRU referendum, he said the utility should be run by people within the community rather than a governor-appointed board. 

“This is going to be a pretty consequential year for elections,” he said. “The decisions that get made locally probably have more of an effect on your life directly… you can have a lot more impact here.”

Gainesville native Johnson will challenge Ingle for the nomination. He previously served in the U.S. Air Force reserves before working in juvenile justice and serving on former Mayor Ed Braddy’s Community Response Council. 

Johnson has also been a member of the Police Advisory Council since 2017.

A statement on his campaign website read in part, “As a candidate for city commission, Fareed Johnson is dedicated to using his skills and experience to help make his community a better place for everyone. He is committed to ensuring that all members of the community feel safe and secure, but also have access to housing that is affordable and good-paying jobs.”

A representative of Johnson’s campaign did not respond in time for publication.

Gainesville City Commission District 1

Incumbent Desmon Duncan-Walker will face Gainesville resident Michael Perkins for the District 1 nonpartisan seat. 

Duncan-Walker wrote she is a “proud product of the Alachua County Public School System.” She is the Gainesville Alliance for Equitable Development founder, A. Quinn Jones Museum & Cultural Center cultural coordinator, Gainesville Community Reinvestment Area’s Fifth Avenue/Pleasant Street Advisory Board vice chair, an Alachua County Branch of the NAACP member, talk show host, writer, and co-producer of “The Voice Radio Show” and a Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church praise leader, according to the City of Gainesville website

On the city commission, Duncan-Walker has supported approvals for arts funding and voted in favor of the GRU referendum appearing on the November general election ballot. 

A representative of Duncan-Walker’s campaign did not respond in time for publication.

Perkins is “a servant to the citizens of the City of Gainesville” and will “expand my servitude by way of the City Commissioner District 1 seat,” he wrote in a Facebook post

A representative of Perkin’s campaign did not respond in time for publication.

Alachua County Sheriff

UF Police Department Captain Latrell Simmons will face Colonel of Alachua County Sheriff's department Chad Scott and Alachua County Sheriff’s deputy Peter King for the Democratic nomination. 

Latrell was chosen as the UFPD Captain in 2022, and he has dedicated himself to supporting youth, he wrote in a Facebook post. 

“In 2006, Captain Latrell received a bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice Administration from Bellevue University. He has also graduated from the FBI National Academy, Session 267, and the Saint Leo University Command Officer Management School,” according to a 2022 UF news release.

In another Facebook post supporting his candidacy he wrote, “I strongly believe that together, we will move forward and bridge the gap between officers and our community.”

A representative of Simmons’ campaign did not respond in time for publication.

Born and raised in Newberry, Scott was formerly employed by the North Florida Evaluation and Treatment Center and worked with mental health patients who were not guilty by reason of insanity and incompetence to stand trial. He began as an Alachua County Sheriff’s Office patrol deputy, school resource officer and detective in 1990 before he was promoted to sergeant. In 2008, Scott transferred to the Alachua Police Department as a reserve unit and later became Chief of Police.  

“As soon as I got promoted to Chief of Police, we encountered gun violence right away, to the point that we had to put a family in protective custody,” he said. “We were able to gain total control of that situation.”

Scott said he has never called in sick during his 34 years in law enforcement. 

“I'm very dedicated to my community and have been,” he said. “As the sheriff, I want to address gun violence, I want to address the abuse of opioids, I want to address mental health issues and I also want to expand victim services for domestic violence victims.” 

Long-time Alachua County resident King is a U.S. Army veteran and has been employed by the Alachua County Sheriff's Department for 23 years. 

“My vision for Alachua County is a safer community for our residents, those who are employed in this county, and our visitors,” he wrote on his campaign website. “School safety for our students and employees is one of my top priorities. Additionally, I would like for every person who drives through this county to feel safe, and no matter where they stop if needed, they will be met with kindness and a hand from the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office.”

A representative of King’s campaign did not respond in time for publication.

Non-party Affiliated Pamela Marshall-Koons and Republican Emery Gainey are unopposed in their respective party categories and will automatically advance to the general election.

Alachua County School Board Seat District 2

Incumbent School Board Chair Diyonne McGraw will run head-to-head with Alachua County School Board employee Thomas Vu for the District 2 non-partisan seat. 

McGraw moved from Tennessee to Gainesville 30 years ago and received a degree in Business Administration from Florida A&M university, according to her campaign website

“Reading must be a priority for Head-start, VPK, and first through third grade,” she wrote. “Our academic environment must position itself to provide engaging curriculums that address reading and behavioral issues.” 

She emphasized the importance of maintaining an “‘A’ district for all [Alachua County] students.” 

A representative of McGraw’s campaign did not respond in time for publication.

Originally from Orlando, Vu is an Alachua County District School Board employee and former math teacher. He is also an UF alumnus, graduating with honors in finance in 2010. 

As the son of Vietnamese immigrants, he “found solace in education amidst a challenging childhood in a broken home,” according to his campaign website.

“As a gay man who has fought for acceptance, I understand the need for policies ensuring safety and support for all students and teachers,” he wrote. “This campaign isn’t about empty promises; it’s about judicious use of tax dollars, data-driven decisions, and direct communication.” 

He wrote that his philosophy is “forever a student, always a teacher.” 

A representative of Vu’s campaign did not respond in time for publication.

Alachua County School Board Seat District 4

Long-time incumbent Leanetta McNealy will run for reelection for the nonpartisan District 4 school board seat against Gainesville resident Lew A. “Lincoln” Welge. 

McNealy currently serves as the Vice Chair of the Alachua County School Board. 

Prior to her 12-year stint on the school board, she was an Alachua County school teacher, curriculum specialist and Duval Fine Arts Academy school principal for 14 years. 

A representative of McNealy’s campaign did not respond in time for publication.

Challenger Welge began his professional career as an Idylwild Elementary counselor in 1984, later serving as a Florida public schools guidance counselor for 18 years. 

A counselor’s voice would be beneficial to the board, especially in regard to his conflict resolution background, he said. 

“An important issue is that of #EmotionalIntelligence,” he wrote in a text message. “The ‘EQ’ of our students, parents and teachers helps to reduce the unhealthy stress felt by a too large percentage… learning should at least not be boring. It should frequently be fun!” 

Welge also visits public school campuses across the country as an Abraham Lincoln impersonator. 

This is his second attempt running for a school board position. 

Unchallenged candidates

Alachua County Commission District 3 Democratic candidate Anna Prizzia and Republican candidate Jenn Garrett will automatically advance to the November general election to face each other. 

Additionally, Alachua County Supervisor of Elections incumbent Democratic candidate Kim Barton will run for reelection against Republican candidate Judith Jensen following the conclusion of the primaries.

Other races on the primary ballot will be the U.S. Republican and Democrat Florida Senator seat, U.S. Republican House of Representatives District 3 seat, the State Representative District 22 seat, the Democratic Precinct 22 Committeeman seat and the Democratic Precinct 33 Committeewoman seat. 

Early voting will take place Aug. 5 through Aug. 17, and the primary election will be Aug. 20. 

Contact Morgan Vanderlaan at mvanderlaan@alligator.org. Follow her on X @morgvande.

Morgan Vanderlaan

Morgan Vanderlaan is a second year Political Science major and the Fall 2024 Politics Enterprise Reporter. When she's not on the clock she can be found writing, reciting, and watching theatre!