Monday, September 09, 2024

Cultures in motion: The rhythm of international folk dance in Gainesville

Gainesville residents provide insight on dance, culture and community

People participate in an international folk dance class on Wednesday, July 31, 2024.

On Aug. 7, as part of the Rosa B. Williams Center’s weekly recurring events, visitors gathered  and immersed themselves in the vibrant rhythm and infectious energy of international folk dancing, where diverse cultures and traditions blend into a joyful tapestry of movement and community.

From 7 to 10 p.m., attendees can expect to experience a diverse array of dances hailing from countries such as Romania, Russia, Japan, Quebec, Israel, Mexico, Ghana and Albania.

International folk dance is a celebration of traditional dances from around the world, encompassing a wide variety of lively styles and movement. These dances often tell stories, preserve cultural heritage and bring communities together through shared movement and music.

Joyce Story, a longtime Gainesville resident, is a prominent figure in the local folk dance community. Story's passion for dance began early in life, and her love for international folk dance has only grown over the years.

Story has been an integral part of Gainesville's folk dance scene, now serving as one of the leaders of the Gainesville International Folk Dance Group

"At least 30 years I had been dancing with this group, when I was in town,” she said. “I come every week.”

For Story, international folk dance offers a unique cultural experience. 

"The music is different, it's captivating…and the dances are very neat,” she said. “You don't have to have a partner, so that was a big plus for me…You are not tied to one culture." 

Story's involvement in the folk dance community is driven by more than just a love for dance — it's about preserving cultural heritage and fostering understanding.

"You're forced to consider how things are done elsewhere,” she said. “It forces you to see the diversity in the world, which I, personally, think is a good thing.”

Story highlights the rich variety of dances her group performs from different regions, particularly the Balkans. 

"We tend to do predominantly Balkan dances because…they are the most interesting and beautiful," she said. 

However, the group’s repertoire extends well beyond the Balkans, including dances from France, Canada, Bolivia and Taiwan.

June Littler, a Gainesville resident since 1956, has lived a rich and varied life, balancing her career, civil rights activism and a passion for folk dancing she discovered later in life. Littler served as president in 1971 of the Gainesville Women for Equal Rights.

At 92, Littler continues to remain active and engaged, crediting her longevity to a healthy lifestyle and the joy and community she finds in international folk dance and movement.

"I was never a smoker and didn't drink much…I eat pretty well,” Littler said. “My son…[who's] 72, does the cooking, and I'm really lucky that way.” 

After retirement in 2001, Littler quickly fell in love with folk dancing, expanding her repertoire to include line dancing and clogging. 

"Folk dancing is kind of special,” she said. “I've been to some of the state conventions and danced for three days straight.”

Heather Payne, a passionate advocate for international folk dance, has been a resident of Gainesville for six years. 

Folk dancing offers numerous benefits to individuals and communities according to Payne. 

“Growing up, I was exposed to many cultures…[Folk dance brings] exposure to other cultures,” Payne said. “It's an opportunity to experience a culturally diverse background.”

Payne, a breast cancer survivor, credits her determination to return to dancing as a significant motivator during her recovery. 

Despite the varying levels of experience among participants, Payne believes anyone can enjoy folk dancing. 

"Anybody can do it... when you do, it’s a lot of fun. It's community," she said. 

Admittedly, however, the group faces challenges in attracting younger members. 

“We need a youngster to help us make that transition [to social media],” Payner said. “What else are they doing on Wednesday night?”

The Gainesville International Folk Dance Group meets every Wednesday for free at 7 p.m. at the Rosa B. Williams Center. 

Contact Carlos Alemany at calemany@alligator.org. Follow him on X @close_alemany.

Carlos Alemany

Carlos Alemany is a fourth year political science student and the Alligator's 2024 Criminal Justice Reporter. In his free time, you you may catch him thrifting or sketching in Gainesville.