Thursday, September 12, 2024

Gators soccer comes away with tie against North Florida

The match marked the third consecutive scoreless draw against North Florida.

Freshman forward Lena Bailey passes the ball in the Gators' 1-0 victory against the Maryland Terrapins Sunday, Aug. 20, 2023.

The Florida soccer team hit the road for the first time this season to face the North Florida Ospreys.

With rain downpouring five minutes into the match, the Gators had a slow start in the first half.

Senior defender Madison Young, who netted Florida’s first goal of the season, worked relentlessly to create plays, but the Gators struggled to connect passes throughout and were unable to generate much momentum offensively.

Following a victory over Western Carolina to open their season, Florida (1-0-1) tied 0-0 against North Florida (1-1-1) Thursday. The teams tied for the third consecutive season.

Freshman standout forward Vera Blom delivered a cross across the goal in the 19th minute, finding redshirt sophomore midfielder Madison Jones. Jones attempted a shot, but it was blocked by UNF redshirt junior goalkeeper Sofia Miliancano. Sophomore forward/midfielder Delaney Tellex’s rebound effort missed the goal out right. 

The Gators picked up their pace halfway into the first half, controlling the ball and pace of play offensively. 

In the 19th minute, Tellex made a quick turn in the penalty box for a shot but missed the goal. Sophomore forward Lena Bailey immediately followed with a one-on-one of her own, but Miliancano denied her once more.

A series of substitutions for the Gators led to a foul on Blom, resulting in a yellow card for Ospreys’ junior defender Brialyn Anderson. 

With fresh legs from junior Gators Njeri Butts, Sophia White and Lauren McCloskey, Florida maintained its attack, ending the first half ahead of UNF in shots with six, two being on goal. 

The match became more intense in the second half as North Florida improved its offensive flow. The Gators attempted four shots with zero on goal, while the Ospreys attempted three with two on goal.

Butts, a member of the Jamaica Senior National Team, showcased her versatility and speed with her persistent pressure on UNF’s defensive line. 

Tellex was fouled just outside the penalty box, providing a clear opportunity for the Gators to close the game. However, redshirt junior midfielder Oakley Rasmussen missed the goal on an overshot.

Blom reentered the match down the stretch of the second half and nearly scored after a clean touch-back from Bailey.

Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Jayden Emmanual made two crucial saves in a row to keep Florida in the match. North Florida nearly scored off a corner kick but a foul called back the goal.

Graduate student defender Daviana Vaka showcased Florida’s seasoned backline with a critical slide tackle in the penalty box during the final 10 minutes of the game. 

In the last three minutes, the Gators nearly clinched a victory with a goal by Bailey just in front of the goal, but it was overturned due to an offside call. 

Florida will next take on UCF (1-0-1) at 6 p.m. at Donald R. Dizney Stadium. UCF is also coming off a draw in its second match of the season at the hands of Utah Valley. 

Contact Amanda Roman at aroman@alligator.org. Follow her on X @mandy_romannn

Amanda Roman

Amanda Roman is a sophomore sports journalism major and The Alligator's Fall 2024 Soccer Reporter. She interned for Fort Lauderdale United FC this past summer as the team's journalist. In her free time, she enjoys lifting, shopping and reading.