Saturday, September 14, 2024
The Gators men’s cross country team runs in the Mountain Dew Invitational on Sept. 15, 2023.

The Florida men’s and women’s cross country teams will seek to start the season off strong. The Gators begin their Fall slate at the UCF Invite Aug. 30. 

Coming off a SEC Championship title win last year, UF women’s team is ranked the No. 1 program in the South Region and No. 8 in the nation in US Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association’s preseason poll.

Florida’s men’s team stands at No. 8 in the South Region. The squad will look to continue building upon last season’s momentum. 

The 2024 women’s roster features 13 returning runners, including 2023 SEC Champions year Allison Wilson, year Sayla Donnelly and year Liin Winborn. Seven true freshmen have been added to the roster to make a team of 20. The men’s team has 15 returners, including year Parvej Khan, a 2023 All SEC Freshman.

Based on her performance last year, Wilson will likely be a crucial runner in the women’s team’s success. Her No. 19 finish in last year’s SEC Championship contributed to Florida’s milestone victory. 

She also placed No. 14 at the NCAA South Regional meet, earning Wilson USTFCCCA All-Region honors while helping send Florida to the national championship. 

Florida finished No. 5 in the national championship, a program best, with Wilson placing No. 49. Winborn also had a hand in the success of last year’s team. She finished No. 31 at the South Regional 6K and added to Florida’s score in the national championship. 

Khan was named All-SEC Freshman after two meets in 2023. He ran in the South Regional meet where finished with a 29:49.3 time in the 10K.

Both the men’s and women’s teams will be competing in four regular season meets; the UCF Invite, the Gans Creek Classic Sep. 27 in Columbia, Missouri, the FSU XC Invite Oct. 11 and the Wisconsin Pre-Nationals Oct. 19. 

Wrapping up the season for the Gators will be SEC Championships Nov. 1. If Florida qualifies, it will compete at the NCAA South Regional meet Nov. 15 in Tallahassee. The NCAA Championship is scheduled for Nov. 23 in Madison, Wisconsin.

Contact Rae Weinstein at rweinstein@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @raefweinstein.

Rae Weinstein

Rae Weinstein is a sophomore majoring in political science. Fall 2024 is her first semester with The Alligator as Cross County Reporter and in her free time she enjoys reading, watching the NY Mets and playing field hockey.