Friday, September 13, 2024

Former Gators women’s tennis star McCartney Kessler wins first WTA Tour title

Kessler defeated No. 1 seed Beatriz Haddad Maia

<p>Florida&#x27;s McCartney Kessler competes during a Feb. 26, 2021 match against LSU. Kessler helped secure a doubles win with freshman Alicia Dudeney, 6-2.</p>

Florida's McCartney Kessler competes during a Feb. 26, 2021 match against LSU. Kessler helped secure a doubles win with freshman Alicia Dudeney, 6-2.

Former Gators women’s tennis player McCartney Kessler won the Tennis in the Land final in Cleveland Saturday, defeating top seed Beatriz Haddad Maia 1-6, 6-1, 7-5. The No. 98 player in the world, Kessler only had one tour-level win in her career before entering Cleveland. 

In the final, Kessler got off to a slow start, losing seven of her first eight games in the match and not having a break opportunity. She quickly responded to win six consecutive games, tying the match at one set apiece.

Kessler entered the third set with confidence, but Haddad Maia fought back. Getting out to a 3-1 lead, Haddad Maia was poised to secure her first WTA Tour title since the WTA Elite trophy in October. However, after several poor serve receptions by Haddad Maia, Kessler was able to draw back, winning the deciding point and securing a three-set match victory.

The 25-year-old American won three of her previous four matches in Cleveland in three sets. Kessler played the deciding match with her right leg heavily bandaged, but the injury didn’t hold her back en route to a gritty win.

Her victory comes following her US Open main-draw wildcard berth while making her debut in the Top 100 world ranking.

Kessler will next take on No. 19 Marta Kostyuk in the first round of the U.S. Open on Monday.

Contact Noah White at nwhite@alligator.org. Follow him on X at @noahwhite1782

Jack Meyer

Jack Meyer is a fourth-year journalism major and the Assistant Sports Editor for The Alligator. In his free time, he enjoys reviewing music, spending time with friends, playing video games and going to the gym.