Thursday, September 12, 2024

It seems right that The Alligator invited me to write a column welcoming students back to campus, because like many of you, I’m also coming back.

Those of you who were students before February 2023 may already know me. For those of you who were not, I had been UF’s president since 2015. When President Emeritus Ben Sasse announced in July that he was stepping down, the Board of Trustees asked me to return as interim president.

I started Aug. 1, but the truth is, I never really left. After a sabbatical, I began teaching electrical engineering in the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering, and still do. Like you, I have assignments and exams to prepare for this Fall semester, and like you, I expect I’ll have a few late nights, busy days and moments of joy getting it all done.

After what I hope was a fun and fulfilling summer, you’re likely ready to dive back into the excitement that comes with the Fall semester: Gator athletics, Homecoming, reconnecting with friends, new classes, studying and continuing to grow as a person.

It’s easy to think, “I’ve been here a while, I know this place.” But, as I myself am quickly relearning, UF is fast-changing, enormous and full of opportunities for you to try new things and find new interests and passions. I urge you to keep exploring, keep learning and keep meeting new people. Keep figuring out what you love and what you want to do next. I’m inspired by this place every day.

As for what’s next for me, I’m looking forward to fulfilling my primary responsibilities as interim

president. As I said in my video shared Aug. 1, my first day back on the job, my top priority will be for us to work to enhance our university’s excellence and reputation in all that we do. My next priority is to plant the seeds of success for UF’s next president.

Finally, my wish is that we all experience joy in everything we do. Hard work and joy are not mutually exclusive — in fact, they absolutely should go hand in hand.

I expect to be interim UF president until sometime in 2025. During these next few months, I look forward to meeting you. If you see me on campus, stop and say hello. I’m also not above posing for a selfie. If you want to drop me a note to say hi or have an idea or a good joke to share, my personal email is kent.fuchs@ufl.edu. And check out my X account — @PrezKentFuchs.

I wish you all great success, health and happiness for the Fall.

Go Gators!

Kent Fuchs is the interim UF president.