Saturday, September 14, 2024

Florida men’s golf seeks second national championship in three years

The Gators return multiple top performers and acquired two immediate-impact freshmen in the offseason

Florida redshirt freshman Matthew Kress swings his club during the Southeastern Conference Championships Thursday, April 20, 2023. / Photo by Leslie White

Last season was supposed to be a rebuilding year for the Gators after losing three key golfers to graduation. Instead, head coach J.C. Deacon guided Florida to the final round of stroke play in the NCAA championship.

Florida returns four of five starters from the 2024 NCAA championship lineup and seven of 10 golfers this season. Deacon has especially high expectations for the squad, as many Gator golfers achieved noteworthy results in offseason competition. 

Sophomores Jack Turner and Parker Bell made a significant impact in their freshman campaigns. Turner, who earned 2024 All-SEC Freshman honors, led Florida in par or better tournament scores. Bell had four top 10 finishes and accumulated 116 birdies, good for third on the team.  

Last year’s team had plenty of energy both on and off the course. Turner and Bell played a key role in establishing a positive environment that balanced competitiveness with fun. Whether it was joking with each other or some light trash talking, the pair provided the team with plenty of laughs.

“[Last year’s team] was probably the best culture we’ve ever had,” Deacon said.

Other key returning starters include 2024 All-SEC Second Team senior Ian Gilligan and junior Matthew Kress. Gilligan led Florida in multiple categories, including top five finishes (three), birdies (137) and eagles (six). Meanwhile, Kress brings valuable experience to the team, having competed in all 14 tournaments last season. He holed 130 birdies and was No. 1 in the lineup five times.

Turner, Bell and Gilligan had the opportunity to compete at the Western Amateur in July. One of the most competitive amateur tournaments in the world, 16 of the best collegiate golfers faced off in Dayton, Ohio for the coveted championship.

Bell defeated No. 1 seed Jackson Koivun, who had one of the best freshman seasons in collegiate golf history, in the first round. Turner and Gilligan also sliced through the competition to advance to the Western Amateur semifinals. 

Gilligan beat Bell in a semifinal match before defeating Turner in the final to secure the championship trophy. Deacon was incredibly proud of the trio and all they accomplished at the tournament.

“That was probably a lifetime moment in my coaching career,” Deacon said. “To have three of the last four [at the tournament be Gators] was incredibly gratifying.”

Florida will miss the presence of John DuBois and Tyler Wilkes. Both golfers graduated in the spring and made numerous contributions to the team throughout the season. DuBois started in the NCAA championships and finished tied for 23rd at the tournament, while Wilkes had a tied team-best five top-five finishes and played in the top two spots four times.

Redshirt sophomore Luke Poulter will seek to play a role in filling the gaps left by DuBois and Wilkes’ departures. Poulter appeared in 10 tournaments en route to two SEC Freshman of the Week nods.

Freshmen Zack Swanwick and Parker Sands were some of the most sought after recruits in the 2024 class, and will seek to make an immediate impact at Florida. Swanwick, who was a top 10 recruit according to NBC Sports, left New Zealand to pursue his collegiate golf career in Gainesville. 

Meanwhile, Sands won the Western Junior and Oklahoma Golf Association Junior Boys Championship over the summer. Deacon was especially impressed with Sands’ victory in the Western Junior, one of the most challenging junior tournaments in the world. 

Florida golfers recently began competing in the first starting qualifiers of the season. Florida opens its season at the Sahalee Invitational (Sept. 8-9) in Sammamish, Washington. 

“I’m most excited about the character and work ethic of our group,” Deacon said. “I feel like the luckiest coach in the world.” 

Contact Aiden Wacksman at awacksman@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter at @aidenwacksman