Thursday, September 12, 2024

Florida football newcomers primed for bright lights of Ben Hill Griffin Stadium

The Gators added a variety of impactful transfer additions to their roster this offseason

Florida head coach Billy Napier looks on during the Gators game against South Florida Sept. 17, 2022. His team has dropped its first two conference games this season.

Acclimation within a new athletic program at a university can be a daunting task. From finding the nearest gas station or trying new restaurants, the challenges are plentiful.  

This exponentially elevates the difficulties of also having to learn a new offensive or defensive playbook as the season quickly approaches.

Florida head coach Billy Napier has brought in elite talent via the transfer portal this offseason. According to 247Sports, the Gators have the No. 5 transfer commitment class in 2024, including key additions with redshirt senior safety Asa Turner, senior wide receiver Chimere Dike and graduate student defensive lineman Joey Slackman joining the program.

A simple change of scenery can sometimes be the best thing for a young athlete's career. No player for UF may be more accustomed to this than Turner. Having grown up in Hawaii for 13 years before moving to California for high school and later attending the University of Washington, his football journey didn’t come to an end without making one last move.

“I needed a change,” Turner said. “I’ve been at Washington for the past five years. Doing the same routine, living in the same apartment, seeing the same people [and] driving the same car. I feel like it was just time for a change.”

Turner turned in an impressive production for the Huskies. The sixth-year safety appeared in 43 games for Washington, totaling 52 tackles and two interceptions in a career-best 2022 campaign. 

But the off-the-field relationships Turner made while in Spokane played a major factor in his decision to commit to Florida. UF defensive backs coach Will Harris formed a strong bond with the Hawaii native, which has carried over to their time together in Gainesville.

“That was the main connection,” Turner said. “I played for him at Washington for the first two years, and so just hopping in the portal, he was the first dude that hit me up. That connection goes a long way.”

There has been a recurring narrative highlighted by players and coaches within the program regarding the positive culture around Florida’s locker room and facilities.

Moving cross-country from the West Coast could be a tall task for any college student, but the experience has been a seamless and positive one for Turner.

“I feel like the culture and everything coach Napier brings [is special],” Turner said. “All the new staff, all the transfer portal players, we’re bringing the right culture and hopefully [we] can make something shake this year.”

Effectively acquiring players through the transfer portal has become an essential component in building a winning team. This has been an uphill battle for Napier in his first two seasons as head coach. 

However, entering his fourth year in college football, wide receiver Chimere Dike has gained an understanding of what it takes to forge the makeup of a team that can compete at the highest level.

“A lot of the guys are experienced,” Dike said. “Asa came from a team that went to a national championship, so being able to bring our own experiences to the room and to the guys who were already here doing really good things I feel like can help enhance that.”

The Wisconsin transfer will reunite with graduate student quarterback Graham Mertz, who he spent two seasons with as teammates in Madison. The duo previously appeared in 25 games together, and while their chemistry will be incredibly beneficial, the top-to-bottom talent of Florida’s roster has already stuck out to Dike.

“I feel like we can make a big impact,” Dike said. “We have so many great players on the team, whether it’s returning guys or guys coming in. It’s our job to compete and come together, and when August 31 hits, it doesn’t really matter anymore. We’re all one.”

Moreover, perhaps nobody on UF’s roster has gone through more of a culture shock than defensive lineman Joey Slackman. Going from collegiate football at the Ivy League level to the SEC is a huge jump for Slackman. 

His talent on the field is undeniable, but the Penn transfer initially encountered off-the-field adjustments when first arriving on campus that took some getting used to.

“It was tough at first,” Slackman said. “Going to a new place from your previous school is going to be difficult in any level… Obviously the transition was difficult. The players are better all around. But I think I’ve transitioned pretty well and I’ve gotten better each day.”

The SEC stadiums Slackman will play in this year will hold nearly nine times the amount of spectators as Franklin Field at Penn. It did not take long before his personal attendance record reached a new high in Gainesville.

“[The] biggest crowd that I played in front of was my homecoming game my junior year against Yale,” Slackman said. “We had I think 12,000 [people] at the game… The spring game was the most people I’ve ever played in front of.”

Florida fans are well aware of the brutal schedule slated for 2024. The Gators are set to take on eight teams ranked inside the top 20 in AP’s Preseason Poll.

But Slackman, along with Turner and Dike, are approaching the challenge with open arms.

“That’s part of the reason why I came here,” Slackman said. “My whole life has really been [challenging] and this has been my biggest one yet and I can’t wait for it… That’s the reason why I came here, I wanted to go against the best.”

Contact Max Tucker at mtucker@alligator.org. Follow him on X @Max_Tuckr1.

Max Tucker

Max Tucker is a junior transfer student at UF. After obtaining his A.A. in Journalism from Santa Fe College in 2023, he chose further his education at Florida's College of Journalism and Communications. Max is currently pursuing his Bachelor of Science in Journalism with a specialization in sports and media. He enjoys golfing and going to the beach with his friends in his free time.