Friday, September 13, 2024
Students enjoy drinks prior to the first day of classes inside of the Salty Dog Saloon on Wednesday, August 21, 2024.

Whether you’re in the mood for a low-key lounge, a dive with character or a place to dance the night away, Gainesville’s bar scene has something to offer everyone.

To help you navigate, The Avenue’s summer staff compiled a list of our favorite places to grab a drink. From hidden gems to popular game-day getaways, these are the spots that keep us coming back, time and again.

Baby J’s 

Carlos Alemany  

Baby J’s cocktail jazz bar — located at 7 W. University Ave. — is a beloved cornerstone of downtown Gainesville's nightlife. The bar offers an immersive experience with live jazz performances from local artists and a curated drink and dessert menu. Whether you're there for the music, atmosphere or a well-crafted drink, Baby J’s provides an intimate setting that showcases the best of Gainesville's vibrant music scene.

Baby J’s welcomes patrons with a warm and inviting atmosphere as the warm lighting casts a soft silhouette on elegant high-top tables and the jazz stage. 

A $5 to $10 entrance fee is typically expected to support the bar’s musicians, a small price to pay for the authentic jazz experience that defines Baby J's. The location also hosts weekly themed Karaoke and DJ nights featuring artists like DJ Lil Auby. Guests often get to know Gainesville’s local jazz talents, who like to mingle with guests after their performances.

Baby J’s menu is equally impressive. With delectable martinis, chicken sandwiches and desserts, guests are welcomed with elegance at a reasonable price.

Baby J’s Espresso Martini Affogato — an indulgent espresso martini crowned with vanilla ice cream and hot espresso — is an absolute must-try. The food menu also offers delicious options, from crispy yuca fries to dainty baby burger sliders, that are perfect for sharing during happy hour from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

The establishment remains an ever-evolving gem for jazz lovers and a go-to spot for anyone seeking a soulful, relaxing night out.

Vivid Music Hall

Noor Sukkar

If you’re looking for a local EDM spot, Vivid Music Hall — located at 201 W. University Ave. — is the place to be.

Formerly known as Knockin’ Boots, the club transformed into a diverse venue with something to offer all crowds. Though it continues to throw down on its line-dancing nights, the spot has showcased big-name DJs, including Dombresky and Slander. 

The venue's visual production is unmatched, highlighted by its recent Fourth of July 360 set with SNBRN. Vivid Music Hall is also known for its regular Pop Punk & Emo Nights. The array of options and unmatched vibes stand out among downtown’s selections.

Salty Dog Saloon

Sabrina Castro 

Everyone needs something to aspire to, and for many UF students, that is the Salty Dog Saloon, located at 1712 W. University Ave.

Salty Dog Saloon is one of the few bars in Gainesville that enforces a strictly 21+ policy. The lounge’s jukebox song requests offer something different from typical house music, with Indie throwbacks like “Linger” by The Cranberries and “Stacy’s Mom” by Fountains of Wayne.

On an average Wednesday night, Salty Dog resembles a scene from a ‘90s movie. Circles of college seniors pile into the wooden booths, laughing and singing as they order pitchers of beer and play card games.

Carlos Alemany

Carlos Alemany is a fourth year political science student and the Alligator's 2024 Criminal Justice Reporter. In his free time, you you may catch him thrifting or sketching in Gainesville.

Sabrina Castro

Sabrina Castro is a rising senior studying journalism at the University of Florida and a Summer 2024 reporter for The Avenue. In her free time you can find her scrolling TikTok or searching for hidden gems at local thrift stores.

Noor Sukkar

Noor Sukkar is a third-year journalism major with a minor in Arabic. She is the Avenue's Fall 2024 General Assignment reporter. When she's not writing, she's most likely talking to her cat or overwatering her plants.