Saturday, September 14, 2024

A majority of Ben Sasse’s inner circle at UF was not rehired

Only two of his closest allies remain employed, while Sasse’s salary exceeds Fuchs’

First row, from left to right: Kari Ridder, Penny Schwinn, Kelicia Rice and Raven Shirley. Second row: Raymond Sass, Alice Burns, David Koerper and Nina Hunt. Third row: Liam Carlson, Dan Dillon and James Wegmann.

A majority of Ben Sasse’s inner circle received letters of non-reappointment after the former UF president resigned in July.

Among 12 of Sasse’s staff original hires, five of whom live out-of-state, only two remain on UF President cabinet website. James Wegmann and Dan Dillon currently serve as the Vice President for Communications and the Vice President for Marketing and the Senior Advisor, respectively.

Dillon’s compensation package upon hire included a base salary of $570,000. He was also eligible for a performance bonus of $75,000 for completing goals instated by his supervisor. After his 12 month review, his base salary would increase to $598,000, and he would be eligible for a $100,000 performance bonus the following year. A UF spokesperson declined to comment on Dillon and Wegmann’s behalf. 

Sasse is receiving an annual $1.04 million until 2028. He is transitioning to become a professor at UF’s Hamilton Center, but he is not teaching as of Aug. 29. UF interim president Kent Fuchs will receive $1 million in his temporary role, which will end by July 31, 2025, unless a presidential pick is determined before then. 

Despite having served as president for eight years compared to Sasse’s 17 months, Fuchs’ salary is $40,000 less than the former president’s. Fuchs declined to comment.

In Fuch’s employment letter, additional terms included a semiannual review of all presidential expenses to be conducted by the Office of the Chief Audit Executive and a report presented to the Audit and Compliance of the Board of Trustees.

Sasse’s allies dwindling

Alice Burns, the former Director of Presidential Relations & Major Events, received her official notice of non-rewal July 31, and her employment ended Aug. 1. She was placed on a paid vacation Aug. 1 with a lump sum of three months’ pay. Burns was a former scheduler for Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) from 2009 to 2023. Graham publicly endorsed Sasse's 2020 reelection campaign.

Liam Carlson, David Koerper and Nina Hunt, the former Presidential Fellows, received notice that their probationary appointments would be discontinued Aug. 1. They were instructed to work on a completely remote basis until their employment ended on Sept. 1. The letters indicated they would be eligible for rehire after their last day of employment. 

While Carlson and Koeper have Alachua County addresses, Hunt worked remotely from Dallas. Prior to working under Sasse’s administration, Hunt spent three years with McKinsey & Company, a consulting firm Sasse signed a $4.7 million contract with.

Kelicia Rice and Kari Ridder, who had temporary appointments as advisers to the president, learned Aug. 1 that their position would end Nov. 1. They were told to work remotely until the end of their term. Rice lives in Virginia, and Ridder lives in Nebraska. Both worked remotely for the entire duration of their appointments.

Raymond Sass, the former Vice President of Innovation and Partnership, received his former notice of non-reappointment Aug. 2. His employment ended that very same day. His letter assigned him three months’ pay.

Penny Schwinn, the former Vice President of the PK-12 & Pre Bachelors Program, was issued a non-reappointment letter July 26 and departed from her position July 31—the same day Sasse left office and 13 days after the former president publicly announced his resignation. She was placed on a paid vacation from July 29-31, and she received three months’ pay afterward. She lives in Nashville, Tennessee.

Another out-of-state hire, Raven Shirley, who was an executive assistant under the president’s office, received a notice of non-reappointment July 31 and left office Aug. 1. She was placed on a paid vacation and received a lump sum of three months’ pay. She lives in Alexandria, Virginia.

Taylor Sliva, the former Assistant Vice President of Presidential Communications Strategic Communications & Marketing, was tasked with handling communications between Sasse and the media. Sliva was notified of his non-reappointment through a hand-delivered letter on Aug. 6. His final day was Aug. 5, and he was assigned three months’ pay.

Melissa Curry, UF vice president for human resources, sent all of the non-reappointment letters. After serving in an interim role, she received the role permanently under Sasse.

Contact Annie Wang and Sophia Bailly at @awang@alligator.org and sbailly@alligator.org. Follow them on X @wynwg and @sophia_bailly.

Sophia Bailly

Sophia Bailly is the Fall 2024 University Editor. She interned for The Times-Picayune in Louisiana this past summer as a Capitol News Bureau reporter. When she's not reading the news, she can be found listening to podcasts, going for a run or studying Russian.

Annie Wang

Annie Wang is a sophomore journalism student and the Fall 2024 University Administration Reporter. She previously wrote for the University Desk as a General Assignment reporter. In her spare time, she can be found reading and writing book reviews.