Wednesday, July 03, 2024

Clowns and LGBTQ+ identity: An intersection of art and expression

Local Gainesville clowns share their perspective on clowning this Pride month

Since the early 1800s, clowns — characterized by their distinctively colorful makeup, foolish antics and buffoonery — have established themselves in the category of the ludicrous and unserious within society.

To some, however, within the vibrant world of clowns lies a profound connection to self-expression and identity, particularly within the LGBTQ+ community. The fusion of flamboyant makeup and performance art can offer a unique avenue for exploring and celebrating queer identities. 

Caitlin Morgan, a five-year licensed cosmetologist in Gainesville, said visual expression can be transformative. 

"Pride month to me is a chance to celebrate queer joy and honor those who have paved the way before us,” she said. 

Euphoria can be utilized as a powerful weapon of change, Morgan said.  

“Queer euphoria is particularly potent and especially important to celebrate in the wake of Florida’s political scape," she said. 

For Morgan, makeup and styling are not just about aesthetics; they are tools of empowerment and armor against societal judgments. 

"Exploring my identity visually has always felt important, if not unavoidable,” she said. “Providing a safe space for others to explore their own identity has been my biggest honor as a hairstylist. Good hair and makeup feel like armor; no one can tell me anything when I’m turning a look."

Zoey Hoyum, a 25-year-old Gainesville resident and self-described queer jester, another advocate for the expressive power of makeup, sees it as a magical tool for personal exploration. 

“It’s like magic,” she said. “You aren’t just one face and one personality; a clown can be whatever they say they are. It makes sense in a queer context because makeup gives you control over your body, looks, the way the world sees you.” 

For Hoyum, Pride month embodies "strength in character, strength in community and space to imagine and express in loud ways that carve space for more folk to imagine new ideas and spaces."

Omi Fant, a 28-year-old performance artist, echoes a similar sentiment of liberation through makeup. 

For Fant, the art of clowning, makeup and performance is inseparable from their identity. 

"As someone who loves to dress up and draw attention but hates feeling obligated to conversation, statuing on the street and handing out flowers has really empowered me to enforce my own boundaries and enriched my confidence knowing I can carve out a space all my own where I can flourish on my terms," Fant said.

Contact Carlos Alemany at calemany@alligator.org Follow him on X @clos_alemany

Carlos Alemany

Carlos Alemany is a fourth year pre-law Political Science major and reporter for The Avenue. When he’s not writing an article for the Avenue, you may catch him thrifting or sketching in Gainesville.