Saturday, July 06, 2024

MacDinton’s opening night wakes up summer nightlife

Gainesville’s newest pub had a successful opening, signifying a new chapter for Midtown

The Social at Midtown pictured on Wednesday, May 8, 2024.

MacDinton’s Gainesville wants to make one thing clear: It is nothing like its predecessor. 

Adorned with Guinness on tap and a painting of Leonardo da Vinci’s “The Last Supper” featuring Gainesville icons, Macdinton’s is distinct. 

Its grand opening to the public Tuesday night hoped to prove it was ready for its Midtown debut. 

General Manager Billy Zachary, who oversaw the property’s transitioning ownership, said MacDinton’s will amplify the buzz that its predecessor The Social generated.  

“We’re going to bring our brand here and do what we do best,” Zachary said. “Lean into the college scene.” 

MacDinton’s takes the place of The Social, a midtown staple for over eight years, which closed its doors in May

Since then the two-story property that looks out onto University Avenue sat vacant, longing for the line of patrons that once filled its sidewalk. 

Its 18 and older entry requirement, extended hours and changing staff boast the location's new ownership — even if the sign for The Social hasn't been removed yet.   

Randy Esponda, CEO of SunPubs Hospitality Groups and partial owner of the Macdinton’s brand, wants the Pub to have a completely different feel from the previous bar. 

“I think The Social sort of became one dimensional,” he said. “We’re looking to be able to serve food during the day, provide happy hour for any young professionals … and then the students at night.”  

Esponda said the July opening’s goal was to get a feel for the market to prepare for the upcoming football season in the fall. 

At its spot on University Avenue, Macdinton’s is a short walk from the Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. 

“We were really excited when this opportunity came to us,” he said. “[An] SEC school in a college town where basically everything around town revolves around the university, the football team, all the other athletics.” 

The Irish pub, which has a second location in Tampa, celebrated its arrival in Gainesville by hosting a “friends and family” soft opening at noon and advertising free entry and discounted drinks at night. 

Zachary and Esponda were hopeful that the promising start to the day would carry on into the night. 

“Drinks are flowing, people seem happy,” Zachary said. “When we open up to the public here in half an hour it's about to be a little bonkers.”

At 7:58 p.m. just before doors opened to the public, music swelled. At 8 p.m. colorful lights filled midtown's largest bar.  

By 9 p.m. the opening had gathered a sizeable crowd; an hour later, it was packed. 

Vanessa Gmyterco, a 27-year-old UF veterinary dermatology graduate student from Brazil, heard about MacDinton’s opening from a group of other students and decided to check it out. 

“We asked for another place [that] was more fun to go,” she said. “They said that they were going to a new place.” 

Gymterco enjoyed the energy of the bar and appreciated it broadcasting Brazil and Colombia’s soccer match. 

“We're having a good time here today,” she said.  

While the lines have yet to return to 1728 W University Ave, MacDinton’s summer opening points to a promising fall for Midtown and its patrons. 

Contact Sydney Johnson at sjohnson@alligator.org. Follow her on X @sydajohnson15

Sydney Johnson

Sydney Johnson is a third-year journalism major with a minor in education. In her free time, she enjoys crossword puzzles and sewing.