Saturday, September 07, 2024

Live updates: UF Board of Trustees unanimously votes to approve Fuchs as interim president

The vote comes five days after UF President Ben Sasse abruptly resigned

UF President Kent Fuchs and Board of Trustees Chair Mori Hosseini are seen during the meeting at Emerson Alumni Hall on Friday, Dec. 3, 2021.

Five days after UF President Ben Sasse’s sudden resignation, the university’s Board of Trustees unanimously approved his predecessor Kent Fuchs to take over in the interim during an 11-minute meeting made available to the public only via phone call.

In a four-sentence address, Sasse thanked Fuchs for stepping back into the presidency and said he would be available as an advisor during the upcoming transition. The 52-year-old former Nebraska Republican Senator unexpectedly announced Thursday in a lengthy, heartfelt post to X he would resign effective July 31. He said he was stepping down to support his wife through her recent epilepsy diagnosis and newly developed memory issues.

His 17-month presidency was spent largely behind the scenes, a far cry from Fuchs who was often spotted on campus chatting and taking selfies with students.

During Fuchs’ eight-year tenure, UF shot up from No. 14 to No. 5 in the U.S. News & World Report’s public university rankings, hired 600 new faculty, reached $1 billion in annual research spending and launched a university-wide artificial intelligence initiative, according to UF’s website.

Fuchs, 69, announced he was stepping down from the university’s top post in January 2022 after a series of scandals centered around academic freedom and influence from Gov. Ron DeSantis’ administration. 

Fuchs will take office Aug. 1. The board is expected to launch its search for a permanent replacement for Sasse in the coming weeks.

5:41 p.m.

Hosseini adjourned the meeting.

5:40 p.m.

Sasse said he didn’t have any additional comment.

5:38 p.m. 

Hosseini said he asked the Office of the Chief Financial Officer to redirect $25 million of its FY 2024-2025 budget towards supporting faculty. 

5:36 p.m.

Sasse thanked Fuchs for stepping in during the coming transition and said he would offer what help he could.

5:34 p.m.

Fuchs thanked the board for its confidence in his leadership. He said it’s important that UF not “lose any momentum” in its transition and that he would continue to put “fuel in the fire” during his interim presidency.

5:33 p.m.

Trustees unanimously selected Fuchs as the interim president.

5:31 p.m.

All trustees confirmed they’re present at the meeting.

5:28 p.m.

Chairman Mori Hosseini has joined the call.

5:21 p.m.

Several trustees have joined the call. Because video of the call isn’t available to the public it's unclear who is speaking.

Garrett Shanley contributed to this report.

Contact Timothy Wang at twang@alligator.org. Follow him on X @timothyw_g.

Timothy Wang

Timothy Wang is a junior journalism student and the Fall 2024 Santa Fe College Reporter. He was the University Administration reporter for Summer 2024. His hobbies include gaming or reading manga.