Wednesday, July 03, 2024

Jac Caglianone primed for MLB Lottery after illustrious career at Florida

The former Gator first baseman and starting pitcher is a unanimous top 5 pick in MLB mock drafts

Florida junior southpaw Jac Caglianone steps up to bat in the Gators’ 5-4 win against the NC State Wolfpack on Monday, June 17, 2024.

Florida baseball’s first baseman and starting pitcher Jac Caglianone will remain in the program history books as one of the most productive offensive talents to step foot in Gainesville. However, he could be remembered most by his peers for his willingness to have a team-first mentality for the betterment of the group.

Caglianone was part of a talented freshman core when first arriving at UF as the No. 5-ranked recruit in head coach Kevin O’Sullivan’s 2021 class. But his footprint will be remembered after capturing impressive accolades such as a unanimous First Team All-American, Golden Spikes Award Finalist and most recently the John Olerud Two-Way Player of the Year.

The southpaw on the mound and slugger at the plate capped off his illustrious career in 2024, etching his name into Florida’s record books. He hit a single-season program record with 35 home runs and broke UF’s all-time home run mark of 75 despite his season ending in a loss to Texas A&M at the Men’s College World Series in Omaha.

“There’s really not a moment that I’ll take for granted,” Caglianone said. “Being able to wear this jersey for the past three years has been something that I’m never gonna take for granted. All these guys who have worn it before us, all we try to do is make them proud and really appreciate what Florida is about.

It’s a tall task to become one of the most prolific players in a respective sport as a college athlete. However, what can be even more challenging is handling the level of attention garnished toward oneself while maintaining a humble mindset.

Caglianone has always held himself to a high-standard in this regard. He doesn’t want to be remembered as someone who broke other Gators’ records. The future MLB lottery pick wants his legacy to be centered around what he did for his teammates, he said.

“Really just somebody who gave it their all,” Caglianone said. “Day in and day out I just wanted to fight for these guys next to me. To be honest, I can’t thank the coaches here enough for all they’ve done to help me get to where I am today.”

The power-hitting lefty now stands as a top MLB Draft prospect. Caglianone is projected to get picked between the second and fifth pick in the draft with the Cincinnati Reds, Colorado Rockies, Oakland Athletics and Chicago White Sox holding these selections respectively.

Formerly a two-way star for Florida on the mound and at the plate, Caglianone is likely going to solely play first base in the big leagues. But MLB general managers won’t be missing out on the productivity provided at the dish.

The 6-foot-5, 250-pound prospect’s impressive resume hasn’t gone unnoticed by his teammates. He started all 66 games for the Gators last season and mashed for a .419 batting average with a 1.419 OPS and 72 RBI.

“The difference I’ve seen in Jac from the day I met him to now has been tremendous,” senior outfielder Tyler Shelnut said. “Jac’s grown as an individual and as a player beyond comprehension. He’s a terrific kid, and he’s a great teammate.”

Caglianone is projected to go as high as No. 2 overall in the draft to the Reds, according to MLB.com. He would join former Gator Jonathan India rounding out the right side of the infield for Cincinnati. However, the majority of mock drafts across media outlets have the Athletics selecting the first baseman, including USA Today.

Bleacher Report had Caglianone going as low as No. 5 overall in its most recent mock draft, O’Sullivan firmly believes his former two-way phenom will be selected by one of the first few teams that will be on the clock.

“Obviously he’s a consensus top 3 pick probably in the draft,” O’Sullivan said. “It’s obvious that he’s got special hitting ability, but what he’s been able to do at the other parts of his game defensively he’s just a difference maker. He’s really turned himself into a complete player.”

As Caglianone’s professional career lies ahead, his legacy as a Gator will leave a lasting impression. He’s taken great pride in putting on the Florida uniform and has shown appreciation for the program along the way.

“The people that I’ve met along the way and played with it’s something that I won’t ever take for granted,” Caglianone said. “I appreciate Sully for taking a chance on me in high school and getting to this point.”

Contact Max Tucker at mtucker@alligator.org. Follow him on X @Max_Tuckr1.

Max Tucker

Max Tucker is a junior transfer student at UF. After obtaining his A.A. in Journalism from Santa Fe College in 2023, he chose further his education at Florida's College of Journalism and Communications. Max is currently pursuing his Bachelor of Science in Journalism with a specialization in sports and media. He enjoys golfing and going to the beach with his friends in his free time.