Saturday, September 07, 2024

Gainesville man arrested on suspicion of possessing and distributing child pornography

The man used the Kik social media platform for explicit chats with minors

The Gainesville Police Department arrested a man Wednesday on suspicion of possessing and distributing child pornography. 

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children received a cybertip from Kik, an online  messaging app, on “child exploitation” May 29 related to a user under the name “jamestk91.” The tip included 18 pornographic videos depicting both pre-pubescent and pubescent minors shared in private chats from April 19 to April 22, according to the arrest report

User “jamestk91,” later identified by police as 33-year-old Gainesville resident David Addis, engaged in sexual online conversations with self-identified underaged boys and girls in addition to viewing and distributing graphic content of child sexual abuse on the Kik social media platform, according to the report. 

In some private chats, he described his preference as children “10 and up” and requested explicit images and videos, including “anything more teenage” along with “brother and sister ones.” 

In others, Addis exchanged two separate series of erotic messages with a 14-year-old boy and 15-year-old girl during which he exposed his genitals and coerced them to send images in return, according to the arrest report. 

Following months of investigation, Addis was charged with eight counts of distributing child pornography, three counts of transmitting harmful materials to minors and two counts of child pornography possession for images saved to his personal device.

However, police found additional “child sexual abuse material” on both Addis’ Kik account and personal device that has not been factored into his charges. 

A standing no contact order was issued July 25.

Contact Rylan DiGiacomo-Rapp at rdigiacomo-rapp@alligator.org. Follow her on X @rylan_digirapp.

Rylan DiGiacomo-Rapp

Rylan DiGiacomo-Rapp is a third year journalism and environmental science major and the Fall 2024 Enterprise Environmental Reporter. Outside of the newsroom, you can usually find her haunting local music venues.