Wednesday, July 03, 2024

Gainesville celebrates the end of Pride month with downtown event

Dozens of people joined the community in musical performances and entertainment

On June 29, downtown Gainesville became a vibrant gathering spot for the LGBTQ+ community with the third annual Pride Street Party at The Bull. The event, which took place from 6 to 11 p.m. and was free of charge, featured a variety of performances for all audiences.

The party, organized by The Bull, was hosted by Gainesville drag queen Emma Gration. The event was sponsored by the City of Gainesville's Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs Division and the Florida Division of Arts and Culture.

Elena Kalina, a 25-year-old board member of the Pride Community Center of North Central Florida and volunteer coordinator, said events like this are integral to show support.

"I think it’s great that June honors Pride and honors the LGBTQ+ community. It’s beautiful to see that Gainesville has so many different events that support the queer community," Kalina said.

The celebrations serve as a safe space for everyone, not just the queer community, but also for straight allies, she said.

"One of the most important aspects is the sense of community," she said.

Alejandro Faria, a 23-year-old son of Venezuelan immigrants, said members of the community can use these events as an escape from the oppression they might feel in their daily lives.

"I am a gay man myself so I want to spread the message that there is a safe space [for us]," Faria said.

Faria got involved with the event after attending a previous one and seeing on social media they needed volunteers. Despite the progress in LGBTQ+ rights, he also commented that people in the community still face many challenges.

"When we’re in public, we’re still afraid to hold hands, or kiss, or show any kind of affection… even in a progressive town like Gainesville," he said. "[These events] show the rest of the community that, ‘Hey, we exist outside of Pride month,’ we are not gay for a month and then disappear."

Pamela Moorman, 55, is a frequent attendee of these events and found the Pride Street Party through the Pride Community Center Facebook group.

"We are especially grateful that Gainesville celebrates Pride also in October," Moorman said.

For Moorman, the party is an opportunity to gather with friends and enjoy new artistic performances, including some by her friends.

"We are here," he said.

Contact Jose Carmona at JCarmona@alligator.org. Follow him on X: JD_CarmonaS.

Jose Carmona

Jose Carmona is a third-year journalism major and a reporter and translator for El Caimán. Besides his role, he loves to hang out with his friends, watch any kind of sports and play video games with his cat on his lap.