Monday, July 01, 2024

‘Voices and Votes: Alachua County’ exhibit opens at Matheson Museum

The collection showcases the history of civil rights and local elections

<p>A display on recent presidential elections at the "Voices and Votes: Alachua County" exhibit at the Matheson Museum.</p>

A display on recent presidential elections at the "Voices and Votes: Alachua County" exhibit at the Matheson Museum.

Following its opening Wednesday, the “Voices and Votes: Alachua County” exhibit focuses on Alachua County democracy, spanning as far back as the 18th century when the Spanish and British Empires fought for control of Florida. The display continues to modern day, showcasing historical predicaments like the 2000 election dispute between former President George W. Bush and former Vice President Al Gore. 

Matheson Museum Guest Curator Liam Shanley was first approached with an idea for the exhibit in September 2023. As a former political science student, he said it immediately piqued his interest.

“What we really want to do with the museum is highlight the challenges that democracy faces and why it's so important to exercise your right to vote,” Shanley said. 

In light of the upcoming 2024 presidential election, he said the importance of understanding the historical context of voting and democracy is needed now more than ever. 

Matheson Museum Curators Willett Hancock, Kaitlyn Hof-Mahoney and Shanley partnered with the Alachua County Supervisor of Elections and League of Women Voters of Alachua County to create the exhibit. 

The history of American voting rights plays a key role in the display, which Shanley said included the consequences associated with denying that right and the road to providing them.

“The main takeaway…is that voting is essential to democracy, and if you are able to vote, you need to get out there and do it,” Shanley said. 

“Voices and Votes: Alachua County” will serve as a companion to the traveling Smithsonian exhibition “Voices and Votes: Democracy in America,” which will be displayed at the Matheson Museum from July 20 to Sept. 7. 

The collection will remain on display until early 2025. 

Contact Morgan Vanderlaan at mvanderlaan@alligator.org. Follow her on X @morgvande.

Morgan Vanderlaan

Morgan Vanderlaan is a first-year Political Science and English major and the City and County Commission Reporter for The Alligator. When she’s not on the clock, she can be found watching, writing and reciting theatre!