Saturday, September 28, 2024

On June 19, GRU Attorney Scott Walker wrote a letter to Alachua County Supervisor of Elections Kim Barton debating the legality of the GRU referendum slated to be placed on the November general election ballot. 

The referendum, passed unanimously through a second reading by the Gainesville City Commission Tuesday, will allow constituents to determine whether oversight of the utility will remain with its current governor-appointed board, a change instituted by House Bill 1645 and Article 7 of the city charter. 

The letter follows a debate for authority between the board and city commission, which was originally charged with GRU oversight. 

The letter read in part, “Please be advised that GRUA unanimously objects to City of Gainesville Ordinance 2024-352 regarding the proposed charter amendment related to the governance of GRU being placed on the ballot for the upcoming election as the Ordinance is unlawful and impermissible under relevant charter provisions.” 

The GRU Authority additionally accused the referendum of being “illegal” and deemed its language to be “vague” and “confusing.” 

Bobby Mermer, Alachua County Labor Coalition coordinator, spoke against Walker’s letter at the June 20 city commission meeting. The effort sought to disenfranchise voters, he said.

“There’s nothing special about Article 7. We are allowed … to vote on this,” Mermer said. “So, I just want to say shame on the GRU authority for trying to take away our vote.”

If the referendum moves forward despite his letter to the supervisor of elections, Walker warned there will be risk of a lawsuit. 

Contact Morgan Vanderlaan at mvanderlaan@alligator.org. Follow her on X @morgvande.

Morgan Vanderlaan

Morgan Vanderlaan is a second year Political Science major and the Fall 2024 Politics Enterprise Reporter. When she's not on the clock she can be found writing, reciting, and watching theatre!