Sunday, June 30, 2024

Gainesville Regional Utilities Authority makes Ed Bielarski permanent general manager

The authority guaranteed there will be no 2025 rate increases

In its Wednesday meeting, the Gainesville Regional Utilities Authority approved a motion to make former authority Chair Ed Bielarski permanent GRU general manager. 

Following the removal of former General Manager Tony Cunningham June 12, Bielarski was appointed interim general manager. In the two weeks Bielarski held the title, he eliminated the GRU Office of Sustainability and Reliance and fired two high ranking employees. 

Current authority Chair Eric Lawson said Bielarski was qualified to keep the position permanently.

“First, Mr. Bielarski is a seasoned industry leader; second, he’s proven he can lead GRU through difficult times; and I’m confident that Mr. Bielarski can continue to serve in this role, ” he said. “I believe that GRU needs a stable leadership during this time.” 

This is not the first time Bielarski served as GRU general manager. He was appointed to the position in 2015 until he was fired by the city commission in 2022.

Additionally, the authority approved the 2025 customer rates and budget, vowing to keep rates the same during the upcoming fiscal year, which begins Oct. 1. 

The decision comes after disagreement between the city and GRU Authority over the continuation of the general funds transfer (GFT). In the approved 2025 budget, the GFT is set at $8.5 million, which is $6.8 million short of the amount set aside in the current budget. 

A resolution to continue the installation of smart meters, for information on utilities to be wirelessly transmitted, was also approved, relieving physical employees from the responsibility of manually checking the meters. 

The authority discussed an opt-out program for residents who refuse the installation that requires an additional monthly fee for the use of physical employees. 

The next GRU meeting will take place Aug. 7. 

Contact Morgan Vanderlaan at mvanderlaan@alligator.org. Follow her on X @morgvande.

Morgan Vanderlaan

Morgan Vanderlaan is a first-year Political Science and English major and the City and County Commission Reporter for The Alligator. When she’s not on the clock, she can be found watching, writing and reciting theatre!