Saturday, September 07, 2024

Gainesville man arrested after high speed chase

Police found ecstasy and molly in his car

A Gainesville man led police on a high-speed chase through the city, resulting in his arrest at about 7:30 p.m. Sunday, according to an Alachua County Sheriff’s Office police report. 

Demetrius Albert Marcel Jones-Ross, 31, faces nine charges, including fleeing and eluding causing property damage, possession of a drug over 10 grams while armed, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and driving with a suspended license, according to the police report.  

The crash occurred at 7:14 p.m. when a white Dodge charger hit a pedestrian in a wheelchair. Officer James Leber noticed damage to Jones-Ross’s front bumper, according to the report. 

Leber noticed James-Ross driving eastbound on 5500 SW Archer Road and turned on his traffic lights and siren in order to conduct a traffic stop. James-Ross then turned into the Madison Cove apartment complex before pulling back out onto Southwest Archer Road, driving eastbound at a normal speed, according to the report.

Jones-Ross then made a U-turn roughly at 4600 Southwest Archer Road, going back westbound. 

After failing to pull over, police attempted to make direct contact with the vehicle in order to box it in. The attempt failed when Jones-Ross made an abrupt left turn, bashing into an ACSO patrol vehicle, according to the report. 

Jones-Ross then jumped out of the driver’s seat and fled deputies on foot. Deputy Carlton Litzkow caught up to Jones-Ross. After telling Jones-Ross to get on the ground, the runner refused and Litzkow subdued him with a Taser, according to the report. 

Leber detained the passenger in Jones-Rosse’s car, Jaqual Davis. 

Deputies conducted a probable cause search of the Dodge because there was a strong smell of marijuana, according to the report. 

Police found a bag full of money with over $2,400 next to a bag of marijuana on the passenger side floorboard. A Glock 43 semi-automatic handgun containing seven rounds and one round in the chamber was found in an open backpack. 

On the center console, police found about 10 grams of ecstasy and 11 grams of molly. A red digital scale and a plastic spoon with white residue as well as a black scale were found under the driver’s seat. 

Davis denied ownership of the backpack, drugs, firearm and ammunition and did not admit to the marijuana being his. 

Jones-Ross is a convicted felon for several different crimes, including a home invasion with a firearm, felony battery and domestic battery, according to court documents. 

Contact Jordan Ramos at jramos@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @JordanR68971799.

Jordan Ramos

Jordan Ramos is a fourth-year journalism major who spends his time singing in two different choirs and his a cappella group.