Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Florida’s hot bats outshine FSU in Sunshine Showdown victory

<p>Kendyl Lindaman</p>

Kendyl Lindaman

While the rest of campus was abuzz with coronavirus cancellations, Florida and Florida State met for their highly anticipated rivalry game, business as usual.

A pair of two-run homers from the Gators’ leading hitter Kendyl Lindaman and Charla Echols marked the first installment of this year’s Sunshine Showdown against Florida State.

Florida played the long-ball game, and it paid off.

The No. 7 Gators outshone the No. 12 Seminoles 5-2 in Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium Wednesday night.

Freshman Rylee Trlicek was rewarded for her SEC Pitcher of the Week performance over the weekend with the start against FSU. While she did give up a home run from Seminoles redshirt sophomore Elizabeth Mason in the top of the first — the only home run she has given up this season — Trlicek didn’t let that phase her. In four innings of action, she threw three strikeouts.

“I thought she did a good job of being able to keep the ball in the dirt,” coach Tim Walton said.

In the bottom of the first inning, FSU took the diamond and senior Caylan Arnold opened by dealing junior Hannah Adams her fifth K of the season and walked power hitters Lindaman and Echols on four pitches each.

In post-game media following Florida’s 3-1 win over Pennsylvania on Tuesday, Walton explained that his team would “get a little fired up, a little amped up” for Wednesday’s edition of the Sunshine State rivalry. In that first inning, Arnold recognized that, limiting the dynamic two-three punch of Lindaman and Echols by tossing eight balls their way and taking their bats out of the equation, temporarily. In the bottom of the third, however, the tandem made its presence known.

Lindaman singled to right field, setting Echols up to do what she does best: smash it out of the park. A two-run homer from the Michigan State transfer — her eighth of the year — gave the Gators the lead after three full innings.

Senior Katie Chronister stepped into the circle for Florida in the top of the fifth with a 1.17 ERA. 

Not to be outdone, Lindaman smashed a two-run homer of her own in the bottom of the fifth. Adams set her up with a double to left field. Freshman Kathryn Sandercock stepped into the circle for the Seminoles and tossed Lindaman the perfect ball to knock out of the park. The pair ran across home plate to regain the lead. 

In the bottom of the sixth, reigning SEC Co-Player of the Week Cheyenne Lindsey hit an RBI single to drive pinch-runner E.C. Taylor home and extended Florida’s lead to 5-2.

Junior Natalie Lugo relieved Chronister after just one inning of work. Lugo started the sixth out strong, striking the first batter she faced out in four pitches. She had three K’s by the end of the night.

While reflecting on his team’s performance tonight, the first thing Walton said was that he was proud.

“I thought we really came out and, obviously getting down early, but we found a way.”

The Gators will be back in KSP Friday night at 6 p.m. for their third series at home, this time against No. 24 Baylor.

Follow Payton Titus on Twitter @petitus25. Contact her at ptitus@alligator.org.

Kendyl Lindaman

Payton Titus

Payton is a sophomore journalism major from Jacksonville, Florida. She is The Alligator's Spring 2021 digital managing editor. Her previous roles include softball beat writer, football beat writer and online sports editor.